You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-19 22:52:33

Void_Walker

Compiz-fusion poor performance after upgrade

I have been using archlinux for a half a year now and now i decided to do my second upgrage... everything went fine (except for the sound, but i was able to fix it and compiz, which worked, but the framerate was below 1fps, so it wasn't even a slideshow) Until recently, it ran at 25FPS while moving the desktop cube. Now i have to wait for more than 5 seconds after i click for the cube to sloooowly form itself. Upgraded parts were xorg, kernel, compiz, nvidia driver, ...

I am using it on my notebook with nvidia GeForce 7400 Go.

Could anyone help me?
I tried to reinstall and/or downgrade the nvidia driver, reinstalled all the packages on my system, wrote a new xorg.conf, fully uninstalled and reinstalled compiz again, read all the articles bout compiz, nvidia, xorg on archwiki and still no luck.

(Options like loose bindings and indirect rendering are slowing it down even more (if possible))

Last edited by Void_Walker (2009-06-19 22:56:37)

#2 2009-06-19 23:38:05

whoops

Re: Compiz-fusion poor performance after upgrade

Hi!

- Does compiz called in a terminal give you any error messages?
- Are you using fusion-icon? That should make all the rest easier...
- Did you try to leave loose bindings & indirect rendering enabled for a while, restart compiz and maybe even X / reboot? (Fusion-Icon safes those settings. I've got no idea why, but I often had Compiz behave strange right after the two options were enabled and for some reason later they worked fine)
- Are you sure, you're using the right graphics card driver & settings? Maybe the new HAL does something to mess your old working config up, by auto-detecting pure FAIL with its pure auto-detecting awesomeness wink roll - you can find a lot on how to disable / override etc. that HAL stuff in other threads and I guess in wiki.

Good luck!

#3 2009-06-20 19:30:24

Void_Walker

No, running compiz in terminal works fine (with no errors).
I am using the fusion icon, and i tried to to restart with indirect rendering and loose bindings enabled, its still beyond unusable hmm

Are there any wrong nvidia graphic drivers? I am using the 180.xx.xx

#4 2009-06-20 21:15:44

Void_Walker

Now, i solved this problem. I dont know what caused it, but the the slow performance disappeared after i downgraded kernel from 2.6.30(from testing) to 2.6.29(core)....

#5 2009-06-23 20:56:39

Void_Walker

right after the 2.6.30 kernel was moved to core repository, i upgraded it again, and compiz stopped working... again. downgrade time, again.

Board footer