You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-20 20:48:45

Adriannho

PPPoE on Arch FTP Install

Hi everybody!
I'm a new and excited would-be Archlinux user. I've just finished my exams and I'm prepared for a new challenge, installing Arch.
I have a fast adsl internet connexion and I want to use the FTP ISO and not trouble myself later with post-installation updates. My question is: How do you connect to the internet using pppoe from the FTP ISO?
Thx.:)

#2 2009-06-20 21:11:52

daf666
Website

Re: PPPoE on Arch FTP Install

I think you can run pppoe-setup for automated setup of the dial-up connection.

#3 2009-06-21 10:09:59

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Adriannho wrote:

Hi everybody!
I'm a new and excited would-be Archlinux user. I've just finished my exams and I'm prepared for a new challenge, installing Arch.
I have a fast adsl internet connexion and I want to use the FTP ISO and not trouble myself later with post-installation updates. My question is: How do you connect to the internet using pppoe from the FTP ISO?
Thx.:)

Take a look at the wiki.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2009-06-21 13:04:41

Adriannho

Hi again!
So here is what I did: Boot the HTTP/FTP ISO, started the installer script in vt1 and run pppoe-setup in vt2. After filling the username, password and network interface I typed pppoe-start. It said that it connected ok.
Then I switched to vt1 and choose a mirror, but when it came to package selection it showed my an error. I switched then to vt7 and there were error messages saying that the installer could not synchronize to the database and that it could not download the package list.

It may be a hardware problem of mine, because very often in Windows when trying to connect I get a blank internet connexion. When opening Chrome the home page is not shown and the number of packages sent is very low. Only after a disconnect and one or more reconnect the PC connects properly to the Internet. I really don't know what causes this behavior. But in the livecd I've typed pppoe-start and pppoe-stop more that 20 times. It should have connected in no more than 5-6 attempts.

Thx in advance.

Last edited by Adriannho (2009-06-21 13:06:25)

#5 2009-06-21 16:46:10

hokasch

You need to find ot more information about why your connection is failing. When pppoe connected, check the connection with ping, ifconfig, look at /etc/resolv.conf if there is a valid nameserver, try with alternate nameserver etc.
What release do you use?

Last edited by hokasch (2009-06-21 16:47:06)

#6 2009-06-21 16:48:33

daf666
Website

After the pppoe connection is up, see that you actually have access to the Intersphere by: # ping www.google.com
I would reconsider installing from the full CD and deal with connectivity afterwards...
Also, the Wiki has much more detailed instructions for dialup.

#7 2009-06-21 20:34:03

Adriannho

daf666 wrote:

After the pppoe connection is up, see that you actually have access to the Intersphere by: # ping www.google.com
I would reconsider installing from the full CD and deal with connectivity afterwards...
Also, the Wiki has much more detailed instructions for dialup.

I did that but it outputs something like "unknown host".

#8 2009-06-21 21:07:05

hokasch

make yourself familiar how to configure the network. you will need anyway.

Did you check /etc/resolv.conf ? Try this (remove everything else):

# First OpenDNS server
nameserver 208.67.222.222
# Second OpenDNS server
nameserver 208.67.220.220

#9 2009-06-21 21:16:20

Adriannho

I tried to connect again but the same thing happens. In vc7 Arch outputs an error saying

transient reseolver failure bla bla...

ifconfig outputs almost the same as pppoe-status does, and from what I could understand from that, no errors were spotted.

less /etc/resolv.conf shows only this:

nameserver 192.168.0.1

Anyway I came to the conclusion that installing Arch requires more in-depth documentation and I will resume the install at a later date when I shall have discovered the source of my hardware connection problem. When I will have it fixed in Windows I shall resume my attempts.

Worth noting I think is the fact that a few days ago, in my search for a proper Linux distro to fit my needs, I've installed Mepis 8. Mepis comes with the old Network Manager, prior to 0.7, and I could not connect with it to the internet. Only after switching to the terminal and typing 'ppppoeconf' I could connect. But with pppoeconf it didn't required a second reconnect and even now when booting Mepis (I still have it on my drive) the connection works flawless.

Doesn't Arch have this tool on the FTP/HTTP ISO?

Anyway thanks to all of you. The Arch community is really great and I think I've just found the perfect Linux distro that I've been looking for far too long.

Last edited by Adriannho (2009-06-21 21:18:36)

#10 2009-06-22 02:46:50

stryder

You need to check whether the problem is that your router is not acting as a nameserver properly. There was another chap who had such a problem: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=73381. Look over the posts there and see whether you have that problem. The simplest solution is to manually add opendns servers to your /etc/resolv.conf (nano /etc/resolv.conf) as suggested by hokash. If that works then you know what your problem is.

#11 2009-06-22 10:16:20

Adriannho

Hi again. Sorry for all the trouble I've caused. It was all my fault not paying attention carefully enough to the connection steps. After running pppoe-setup, the script asks you somewhere about the DNS configuration. My mistake was that I left that step blank and only after typing 'server' I could connect. From what I could understand from this, in this way you tell the config. script that the DNS is supposed to be managed by the router. Thanx to all of you.

Board footer