You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-22 00:23:26

Goose722

VirtualBox Arch install - making X work.

So, I've installed a base Arch Linux install using the 2009.02 core release, and the initial installation process went flawlessly. 

Then, I attempted to install X.

I had read around that installing the VBox Guest Additions was a good idea, seeing as it enabled core support for both the mouse and video drivers, so I did that by mounting the disc using the VBox application on the host machine, and mounting and installing the guest additions in the Arch guest system.

After that, I rebooted the machine, expecting to have a nice xorg.conf file, created by the install, waiting for me(I hadn't initiated any sort of X install yet)

Instead, I was forced to install hwdetect and create an xorg.conf file this way:

hwdetect -xa

This left me with an xorg config file that looked like this(I hope the images work):
37779606.png

..and this(next page)

50514557.png

From what I've read, it seems that the video driver should be set to 'vboxvideo', and the mouse driver should be set to 'vboxmouse'
However, when I replace the current entries for those, I get the ever-so-popular error "cannot find blah driver"

Now, with the xorg.conf file in its current state(using vesa and default mouse drivers), I can start up X and run OpenBox or Awesome, but am limited to a resolution of 800x600, and mouse capturing remains in effect.  What do I need to do to get those drivers up and running, and to enable larger resolutions on this virtual machine?  (the ideal resolution for me would be 1920x1080)

A God, a God their severance ruled;
And bade betwixt their shores to be
The unplumb'd, salt, estranging sea.

#2 2009-06-22 01:42:01

DevoidOfWindows

Re: VirtualBox Arch install - making X work.

Make sure $(VBoxClient) is running.  It should get started automatically if you use GDM, but you will have to start it manually, otherwise.

#3 2009-06-22 03:17:43

Goose722

In the guest system?

A God, a God their severance ruled;
And bade betwixt their shores to be
The unplumb'd, salt, estranging sea.

#4 2009-06-22 03:35:31

DevoidOfWindows

Yes.

#5 2009-06-22 06:52:11

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I had the same problem and solved it with the help of wiki and woks fine:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vir … _Additions

Markku

Board footer