You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-22 01:12:11

duby2291

cfdisk mdadm problems removing old ext3 partition

Hey guys, I am trying to create a raid partition type fd for a software raid with a few drives that I have. They are not new drives. I've previously had an ext3 partition on them. The problem that I am experiencing is that when I create the array with mdadm I get an error message that an ext3 filesystem has been found... BUT I have aleardy wiped that out with cfdisk and created a new filesystem type fd with it. I've even tried using good ole fdisk to create the partition and I still get the same error message.....

Code:

cfdisk (util-linux-ng 2.14.2)

Disk Drive: /dev/sdb
                                                              Size: 80026361856 bytes, 80.0 GB
                                                    Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 9729

Name                    Flags                 Part Type            FS Type                         [Label]                      Size (MB)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       sdb1                                           Primary             Linux swap / Solaris                                           4096.19             
       sdb2                                           Primary             Linux raid autodetect                                         75927.56

[ Bootable ]  [  Delete  ]  [   Help   ]  [ Maximize ]  [  Print   ]  [   Quit   ]  [   Type   ]  [  Units   ]  [  Write   ]

Toggle bootable flag of the current partition

Code:

mdadm -C /dev/md0 -n2 -l0 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
mdadm: /dev/sda2 is too small: 0K
mdadm: /dev/sdb2 appears to contain an ext2fs file system
    size=74148004K  mtime=Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
mdadm: create aborted

Whats going on here? I've clearly deleted the old partition and created a new one. Why am I getting this error message?

Board footer