You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-23 03:53:26

eldragon

proper way to build a custom kernel

i dont know if this post belongs here or not... but ive been wondering if im doing things correctly...

im trying to learn.. so i patch, build and test. tbh, all patches are taken from bug reports. but love it when stuff gets fixed and i can report back to the dev big_smile.

now, building the kernel takes hours, and right now im just patching a small file in the i915 driver thats supposed to fix suspend for KMS. to do this i follow these steps

# abs
$ cp -R /var/abs/testing/kernel26 ~/src/
$ cd ~/src/kernel26
edit pkgbuild, include the patch line in the build() function
$ makepkg

this builds the entire kernel, but its clear i only need the modified i915.ko module.

my question is: is there a way to have certain modules built only? then i could replace them manually and get on with it? or do i need to recompile the entire thing every time i test out a patch?

#2 2009-06-23 04:51:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: proper way to build a custom kernel

Off-hand, yes, you can. That's the same thing done with Virtualbox and nvidia's kernel module.

How, I don't know, sorry to say smile. Maybe you'd want to look at the respective PKGBUILDs, though I'm pretty sure they only call built-in methods in either binary.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-07-06 04:36:17

eldragon

Re: proper way to build a custom kernel

well, i believe all those modules being built should not need to be built again.... the problem is i dont know how to skip them and use the old object files.... anyone got a clue?

Board footer