You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-24 12:39:52

9mqksfhn

Linux live CDs

Hi,

As I think most of you will be familiar with, one of the greatest things about Linux is it's customizability. Distributions such as ArchLinux allow people to build operating systems from scratch up to a highly customised system with little to no programming knowledge. By choosing things such as tiling window managers, mouse gestures, and a huge array of programs all focused on achieving different design goals; users can make an operating system which fits their particular needs far better than they could using systems such as Microsoft Windows and MAC OSX. People who want their PC to look cool can use KDE and compiz fusion, people who just play games can use a minimal window manager such as JWM to save resources, people who want the best interface with their PC can use tiling window managers and mouse gestures etc.

But when people who use Microsoft Windows are told about Linux, and boot an Ubuntu/Fedora live CD to get an idea of what it's like, what are their first impressions? They see a slow OS with a confusing interface that follows the desktop paradigm, just like Microsoft Windows, and think "so what".

I want to start a project that makes a small number of live CDs, that each demonstrate a different type of interface. So maybe one that uses a minimal interface with mouse gestures, another that uses a tiling window manager, and maybe one that uses KDE and compiz fusion.

The purpose of the project will be to demonstrate to users of Microsoft Windows, MAC OSX and other less flexible operating systems such as Ubuntu the full customizability that is possible with Linux.

The main aims of the Live CDs will be:
- Each CD demonstrates a different type of interface.
- They will each have a different set of programs installed to demonstrate the wide range of software available for Linux.
- They will work straight away without any effort from the user.
- They will have some websites saved on the CD so the user can test the web browser without having to set up networking.
- They will display some instructions when they start, which will explain how to use the interface (giving a list of key-bindings/ gestures etc to try out), explain that live CDs are slow and it would be faster if it were installed on the hard disk, and also give instructions on how to make their own Linux system, suggesting systems like ArchLinux and Gentoo etc.

Now there's just one problem; I have almost no coding experience except for PHP, Javascript, XML and CSS. So I need people to give me advice on how to start, and write some/most/all of the code.

Thanks.

#2 2009-06-24 14:45:43

hokasch

Re: Linux live CDs

Check out Larch.

#3 2009-06-24 17:06:22

9mqksfhn

That looks perfect, thanks.

#4 2009-06-24 17:18:36

lilsirecho
Veteran

Faunos

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer