You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-24 16:06:14

phunni

Audio and Kernel settings

OK - I've spent all afternoon searching and reading and, either I'm  stupid, or the answer isn't obviously out there.

Since I reckon it's probably the former - try and speak slowly for me smile

I want to use my desktop primarily as an audio workstation - by which I mean I want to run things like ardour and do audio recording/editing etc.

I've got most of the tweaks to my system done - but I'm really not sure what, if any, changes I need to make to my kernel.  I'm currentlyu running the stock kernel and things generally seem fine - but I'm not sure if I could improve things.

The linux-musicians website suggests the following changes to the kernel config:

CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
CONFIG_HZ=1000
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

Is this still necessary with recent kernels? 

Any advice/suggestions welcome.

#2 2009-06-24 23:33:01

TheBodziO
Website

Re: Audio and Kernel settings

Don't know if it is necessary but I can give you a hint if you want to know what were the options that currently running kernel was compiled with. Take a look at file /proc/config.gz. This functionality must be set during kernel compilation but it is for arch's stock kernel. For kernel 2.6.29.4-1 (arch x86_64) options are:

CONFIG_HZ_300=y
CONFIG_HZ=300
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

Option "CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT" is not present.

I hope that at least it'll help a bit.

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#3 2009-06-25 00:30:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT is for the real-time kernel only. If you're doing serious DAW stuff, then you'd probably want (note, not NEED I think) that. Unfortunately, the kernel I use to get rt (kernel26-ice) has just upped to 2.6.30 yesterday and as a result the rt-patch doesn't work, till they come out with a 2.6.30 one.

Best to wait for the proper rt-kernel patch to come out, then use the kernel26-ice PKGBUILD to compile it with the above options. I have the kernel compiled here from a month back, but not sure if there's anyway to send it to you.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2009-06-25 09:02:35

phunni

Ok - thanks for the help.  It looks like I probably want to use an RT kernel.

Board footer