You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-24 23:06:05

blackfedora

normal user is in optical group but cannot mount CD's help! [SOLVED]

disreguard the first few posts, this is what i've figured out thus far:
The cd-drive works perfectly for root, but my normal user cannot mount burned disks. It CAN mount unburned disks and burn them. My normal user is a member of the optical group. My normal user can use VLC to open and play CDs and DVDs but nautilus cannot mount or these disks, even while they are being played by VLC. If I look at the disk's properties I just see a bunch of unknowns.

I gave myself root permissions on the everyday user temporaraly and when i started gnome the CD was sitting right there on my desktop ready to be opened, so it is apparently a permissions issue, problem is I don't know how to work around this. Could I go into root and tell the disk drive to mount to a location that everyday can access? What should I do?

Original post:
I'm having trouble mounting cd's intended for windows. I've successfully mounted blank CD's and I've used VLC to watch a DVD so I know the drive is correctly loaded, but whenever I insert Fable disc 1 or the World in Conflict DvD it appears as a correctly labeled CD in Nautilus but if I click on it it won't open, I've also tried opening with another app > wine but that didn't work either. Is my system missing something it needs or do I just need to run some command?

thanks

Last edited by blackfedora (2009-06-25 22:05:50)

Confusion is always the most honest response, and I'm a very honest person

#2 2009-06-24 23:44:50

blackfedora

Re: normal user is in optical group but cannot mount CD's help! [SOLVED]

*update* I may have successfully burned Cd's but now that i've put them back into the drive they are being treated EXACTLY like the windows cds. I thought it might be an issue of permissions but i don't get any error screen like when i try to access the root folder from a normal user. Is it just that linux treats cds a certain way? I'm used to mac and just clicking to open up the cd file even if the file itself isn't readable on mac. I'm going to keep digging around in the wiki but any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 2009-06-25 00:00:55

sand_man

Yeah something funny is going on there. Being a "Windows" CD or not, they are just data discs and will still be read like any other.

neutral

#4 2009-06-25 00:06:32

blackfedora

that's what i thought, it must be permissions because i logged over to root and configured a basic gnome desktop, clicked the CD and it opened right up.

I added them to all the groups the beginner guide suggested though, does anyone know the exact group i need to add him to?

#5 2009-06-25 00:48:43

blackfedora

I checked and my usr is a member of optical, which should allow it access to the CD drive, what's going wrong here?

#6 2009-06-25 16:10:01

blackfedora

Bump

#7 2009-06-25 16:30:58

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Instead of bumping your topic twice a day, check if you have configured policykit correctly.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#8 2009-06-25 17:20:22

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Well, I don't know how you have been able to mount a blank (that has no file system) but lets skip that, try with very normal data disks not game disks, those most probably use some crappy protection/DRM scheme that may be interfering somehow.
You said it yourself, you were able to see a normal video dvd disk with vlc.

Also check what B says, our new found friend policykit may be to blame for that.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#9 2009-06-25 22:28:45

blackfedora

I found it under trouble shooting on the Halpage of the wiki. Thanks for points me in the right direction guys,and i'm sorry for bugging the forums hopefully i'll eventually get to the point where I can pay it forward to the next generation of newbie.

sorry again...

#10 2009-06-25 22:55:04

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Don't apologise smile. Just try to build in the reflex of checking apps on the command line to see if they're more verbose there, and use the wiki/forum search to see if your problem is already documented (or google for that matter). It would surprise me if you didn't get any popups about hal freedesktop org blabla errors (that's what usually happens when you bump into these kind of annoyances), but if you did not get any of those it is a tad more difficult to diagnose.

As R00KIE says, a blank CD cannot be mounted, simply because it has no file system. As for the bumping: bumping your topic within 24h is not appreciated wink.

Enjoy your stay!

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer