You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-25 00:34:33

omega02

noob at archlinux --- PlayonLinux problem (help me!!!)

Hey guys, i just joined today, as u can see im a noob at archlinux... I have just downloaded PlayonLinux and i wanna play a game called ragnarok online... I have the windows installer but i don't get how to use PlayonLinux. Ok heres what i did. I opened PlayonLinux, Pressed the install button. went to games tab thing in the install button i pressed. looked for the game (ragnarok online) i clicked on the game and then i clicked apply. Now a new window popped up and so i press forward took only a second just to finish downloading..... (wierd) anyways it shows 2 check squares.

1 says On your desktop
2 says In your menu

this is for shortcuts, anyways i clicked the in your menu check and then pressed forward. Now it says "Installation terminee" does this mean it has been terminated?

If so Please help!

If not, how do u install the game from the installer?? I mean not from PlayonLinux but on the real thing.
(the windows ragnarok installer)

Please help and no i am not using Ubuntu. Just plain o'l Arch linux!

#2 2009-06-25 00:56:34

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: noob at archlinux --- PlayonLinux problem (help me!!!)

Hi omega02, welcome to Arch and to the forum.

How did you install PlayonLinux? If you didn't install it from the AUR (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14986) then you should uninstall the one on your system now and re-install it from there. This will make sure that you have the dependencies to run it and allow pacman to keep track of it. The basic rule of installation on Arch is to never install anything without pacman. There's nearly never any real reason not to use pacman. You can find information on how to build packages from the AUR with makepkg in the wiki.

You should probably also read up on Wine if you want to run Windows apps:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2009-06-25 02:48:41

omega02

Re: noob at archlinux --- PlayonLinux problem (help me!!!)

Xyne wrote:

Hi omega02, welcome to Arch and to the forum.

How did you install PlayonLinux? If you didn't install it from the AUR (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14986) then you should uninstall the one on your system now and re-install it from there. This will make sure that you have the dependencies to run it and allow pacman to keep track of it. The basic rule of installation on Arch is to never install anything without pacman. There's nearly never any real reason not to use pacman. You can find information on how to build packages from the AUR with makepkg in the wiki.

You should probably also read up on Wine if you want to run Windows apps:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine

Thx... also how do u uninstall stuff? And Im trying to play this mmorpg on linux... its called regnum online i've posted on the forums but nobody can really help me... i have search with pacman for regnum online but there was no aur files and i don't know how i installed PlayonLinux. My older bro downloaded it. But i'm sure that he downloaded it from AUR. He told me that its not like windows, he said that use

yaourt -Ss gamename

to find some games to play and to install them he said to do this

yaourt -S gamename

but anyways i'll look through the wine link thing. Thx

EDIT: Woah! when i went to the link I had no clue what it was saying... I know its in english but i mean all this weird codes and all. Is there anyway to break things down? All i want is how to install/play the games on PlayonLinux. Like do i need the REAL installer and the wine install and put them together somehow? or do i just need to install the wine game on PlayonLinux.

EDIT2: When i did

yaourt -Ss PlayonLinux

I saw beside the names says: (Installed)

archlinuxfr/playonlinux 3.5-1 [installed]
     Play windows games with wine
aur/playonlinux 3.5-1 [installed] (141)
    GUI for managing Windows and DOS programs under linux

Exactly like this, so i think he did install it from AUR using pacman or using the yaourt thing from the terminal/konsole.

Last edited by omega02 (2009-06-25 02:57:57)

Board footer