You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-25 15:47:27

Veovis Muad'dib

Compiz plugins alternate source?

I've been trying to get the burn effect upon close in compiz.  I've looked everywhere, made absolutely sure I had extra plugins installed, I can't find the burn effect in animations.

I found on google some suggestions to remove compiz and reinstall it with a different mirror, so I went with a pacman -Rs, then changed mirrors, then came a pacman -Syy.  Then I reinstalled, and it still isn't there.  I have animations, which means I have extra plugins, but I just can't find the burn effect.

Can anyone help?  Even telling me it was removed or something would be a great help, because then I could either stop looking for it or go back to a previous version.

[I'm having networking problems atm, but as soon as those are resolved, I can go on to doing this.  I just figured that it'd be easier to ask now.]

#2 2009-06-25 16:08:05

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: Compiz plugins alternate source?

Veovis Muad'dib wrote:

I found on google some suggestions to remove compiz and reinstall it with a different mirror, so I went with a pacman -Rs, then changed mirrors, then came a pacman -Syy.  Then I reinstalled, and it still isn't there.  I have animations, which means I have extra plugins, but I just can't find the burn effect.

All mirrors should have the same version.

Veovis Muad'dib wrote:

Can anyone help?  Even telling me it was removed or something would be a great help, because then I could either stop looking for it or go back to a previous version.

sorry I have no idea about plugins and such, I don't use compiz, but if it is a official plugin included upstream it should be in the package as I did not remove any plugins from the package when building it.
So see if you can find something on the compiz site if it is ought to be there.

#3 2009-06-25 16:28:34

Veovis Muad'dib

Upstream still lists burn (or fire, they switch between names often) as a plugin.  Contrary to what I had thought, it's in main.  I checked through the changelog for the version released 5/9/09, and I saw nothing about even temporarily removing this plugin.  I've also checked around the web for any conflicts it might have with anything else I have installed, nothing found there.  Additionally, there seems to be another plugin that I have not seen in my options, called explode.

Next thing I'm going to do is learn to install things in Arch without internet, so I can install simple-ccsm and see if that helps.  I'll be back in about half an hour.

#4 2009-06-25 17:38:15

methuselah

Veovis Muad'dib wrote:

Upstream still lists burn (or fire, they switch between names often) as a plugin.  Contrary to what I had thought, it's in main.  I checked through the changelog for the version released 5/9/09, and I saw nothing about even temporarily removing this plugin.  I've also checked around the web for any conflicts it might have with anything else I have installed, nothing found there.  Additionally, there seems to be another plugin that I have not seen in my options, called explode.

Next thing I'm going to do is learn to install things in Arch without internet, so I can install simple-ccsm and see if that helps.  I'll be back in about half an hour.

In the ccsm (compiz config settings manager) those newer effects should be located in the plugin called "Animations Add-On".

So make sure that you have both the old "Animations" and the newer "Animations Add-On" plugins in the "Effects" section.

#5 2009-06-25 19:29:03

Veovis Muad'dib

Well, here we've found the problem then. I don't have the animations addon plugin.  I have installed everything in the repos that has to do with plugins though, what else do I need?

#6 2009-06-25 19:56:12

whoops

(maybe plugins-unsupported from AUR.)
edit: no, I don't have that one either - only main & extra.
edit2..: animationaddon is owned by compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
edit3-8...:

try reinstalling the extra plugins...
# pacman -S compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

... and take a look, if the addon is in its directory with correct permissions...
$ ls -all /usr/lib/compiz/libanimationaddon.so

(edit 9: yes, I drink too much coffee, how do you know?)

Last edited by whoops (2009-06-25 20:14:15)

#7 2009-06-26 08:59:16

Veovis Muad'dib

whoops wrote:

(edit 9: yes, I drink too much coffee, how do you know?)

Don't worry, that's how I post too. lol

I reinstalled for the fourth time, still nothing.  Then I checked file permissions: -rwxr-xr-x  I can't read file permissions to save my life, (I could if I learned, and it wouldn't be that hard, I just haven't done so yet.) and plus, I don't know what permissions I need.  So, is this good?

#8 2009-06-26 09:49:56

whoops

Hmh... I'd have thought that should definitely be working like this.

So are all files there & ok...?

$ sudo find /usr -iname *animationaddon* -exec ls {} -all \;
Passwort: 
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 287  5. Jun 15:36 /usr/lib/pkgconfig/compiz-animationaddon.pc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 131886  5. Jun 15:36 /usr/lib/compiz/libanimationaddon.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 95999  5. Jun 15:36 /usr/lib/compiz/libanimationaddon.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7765  5. Jun 15:36 /usr/include/compiz/compiz-animationaddon.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9346  5. Mär 04:28 /usr/share/ccsm/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/plugin-animationaddon.svg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 202938  5. Jun 15:36 /usr/share/compiz/animationaddon.xml

Is compiz saying anything about it when started in a terminal?
Does it maybe show in ccsm/settings/plugin-list?
Are you sure your mind doesn't just keep blocking the Icon because it's ugly (paper airplane OR ugly clam OR boring white low contrast thing?)

Wait a second... I just noticed that I linked the plugins into my home directory some months ago... maybe I did that for a reason and not just while playing with ln - so you could try

$ mkdir ~.compiz
$ mkdir ~.compiz/plugins
$ ln -s /usr/lib/compiz/* ~/.compiz/plugins

( that might require a restart... if it doesn't help, don't forget to delete it later, or it will just confuse you once you forgot why you did it wink )

Last edited by whoops (2009-06-26 09:51:31)

#9 2009-06-26 10:42:20

Veovis Muad'dib

Okay, so I ran ls -la on my home directory, and I didn't see .compiz.  So I did what you said, and it didn't work.  I restarted, and still nothing.  So I rm'ed .compiz, and restarted, and it (EDIT: The animations addon) now is there.  I'm not marking this as solved until someone explains why.

Last edited by Veovis Muad'dib (2009-06-26 10:44:09)

Board footer