You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-26 14:37:55

majiq

perl-gd : Searching pacman

I can't find this package by searching for it in the repository, but apparently pacman could download and install it. Is there a way to search the downloadable content names of pacman? I mean, a -Qq only does local and installed ones, but not what is available.

#2 2009-06-26 14:41:53

majiq

Re: perl-gd : Searching pacman

Just a note, cause I was trying to find GD::text. These perl GD packages can be found in the AUR, but not the primary repository. Yet, I use pacman and not yaourt to install it. Is this a bug that I should report?

#3 2009-06-26 15:44:11

Veovis Muad'dib

Typing pacman -Ss <search query> will search everything that in is core, community, extra, and any other repos you have set up.  For example, I didn't know what my video drivers were called, so I did pacman -Ss nvidia, and looked through the list till I found what I was looking for.  As it turns out, they were just called nvidia.  It'll search names and descriptions though.

Is that what you were asking?  If not, head over to the pacman rosetta.

As for your second post, I can't help you there, I have no clue why that would be.  Maybe there's one in each.

Last edited by Veovis Muad'dib (2009-06-26 15:44:59)

#4 2009-06-26 21:23:26

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

These gd packages are in the community repo. that's why you can install them with pacman.

#5 2009-06-26 21:33:04

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Take some time to read through the pacman man page:

man pacman

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2009-06-27 05:37:11

majiq

Veovis: Huh, I never thought to use the -S to facilitate a query. I thought you could only do that with -Q. Thanks for the heads up.

Snowman: Ah, I see the difference now. Community versus unsupported. I never actually paid any heed to that in the past, but henceforth it is duly noted. Thanks.

Xyne: This may just be me, but the man page was really not very helpful in this case. Given the presence of a primary option for "Query", there didn't seem to be a reason to check the Sync area for the option. Thinking back to the Arch install via the beginner's guide, that option (if I recall correctly) was used there, so really, I should've known, but you really can't point at the man page for this one. I honestly love man pages, but quite sincerely, this option could not have been more poorly placed in the man pages for me to find it. I don't know. It's still a query, so it's kind of weird that it's under -S. But, it needs to sync to query, I suppose, so you need the -S? I don't know. Maybe I'm just overthinking it. Maybe I should have thought to search for "search" in the man page, but the word "Query" is in your face and bolded from the get go...Whatever.

Thanks for the help, all.

#7 2009-06-27 07:33:51

tomk
Forum Fellow

The man page's definition of -Q/--query, which I guess is also "in your face", refers to installed packages only.

If you would like to suggest an improved wording and/or layout for the man page, use the bugtracker.

#8 2009-06-27 20:16:00

majiq

Yeah, it does only refer to installed packages. That was the problem, and hence why I asked online. Don't get me wrong; I don't know if there's a better way to word it or show it. I just couldn't find it, and so I asked and wanted to justify why I didn't just use the man page. :-/ Sorry?

#9 2009-06-27 21:08:39

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I really didn't mean it as a "just RTFM" and I agree that the use of "query" is misleading. My suggestion was to read through the whole man page to familiarize yourself with it and how pacman works. This was mostly due to your use of "-Qq" instead of "-Qs", which made me think that you might benefit from a better understanding of what the various options do.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer