You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-16 08:45:06

alkat

printing from abiword and other apps

hi
this is my first post and i'd like to start off by saying that this distro is amazing! i love it!

when i first decided to install it, i thought i might not be able to do it as i am such a dumb-user... but actually, installing it was extremely easy!

i've been using archlinux for a couple of weeks now but i haven't solved all my problems yet...

the most annoying is printing.

i installed cups and set up my printer. it works just fine from OpenOffice but i don't know how to set abiword and other apps (such as xfprint) to print from the same printer.

when i try from abiword, i can only print using lpr and that doesn't work. what should i do to make abiword see my printer?

.a.

#2 2004-10-16 16:47:55

Kalidor

Re: printing from abiword and other apps

Try

lpr -Pprintername

where printername is the name that you specified for your printer (in CUPS).

#3 2004-10-16 17:07:41

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

the lpr commands should be the same for cups as lprng... find a page on google (linuxprinting.org???) that will tell you how to print some text files from the Command Line. Once you get that figured out, you might be able to tell what commands to put in the other applications.

Dusty

#4 2004-10-16 23:21:42

sarah31
Website

perhaps give us a bit more details about your printer and default settings for the applications you want to print in?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-10-17 06:28:49

alkat

sarah31 wrote:

perhaps give us a bit more details about your printer and default settings for the applications you want to print in?

i would... just i don't know what information you might need...

the printer is an epson stylus color 400 on a parallel port and is set up properly with cups and the driver i've always used (gimp-print). the program i'm trying to print from with no success is abiword.

i tried what kalidor suggested and it works from acroread but it doesn't work from abiword.

.a.

#6 2004-10-17 15:24:10

Kalidor

Can you print into a file from abiword? If yes, do so and type

lpr file.ps

in a terminal (you may also need the -P option). Does the new job get listed in CUPS? Also take a look at /var/log/cups/error_log.

You can see which printer is default (i.e. if you need the -P option) using

lpstat -d

A list of all available printers:

lpstat -p

A job-list:

lpstat -l

Board footer