You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-28 05:23:57

atomicpookavirus

[solved] Converting from Ubuntu to XP micro/ArchLinux dual boot

Greeting, have installed XP for the first time in years  (as a wintendo and for testing code) and am preparing to dualboot with Archlinux as well. Previously I used Ubuntu but it made my computer run slower than butt. I've been using this machine to learn c++ but it couldn't even handle text editing without lagging out. Switching gnome and related apps for Awesome WM and ncurses based stuff helped alot. What I noticed was that most of the information I was finding on these lightweight apps was in relation to Archlinux.

Before I start installing, I'm curious about why would I make /home a different partition then /?

big_smile

Last edited by atomicpookavirus (2009-06-30 01:03:44)

#2 2009-06-28 05:33:22

neptuneK

Re: [solved] Converting from Ubuntu to XP micro/ArchLinux dual boot

Well in case you decide not to go with Arch - or any other linux - later on, you don't have to keep backing up your home folder - and unpacking it after that. Then I again , you'll probably not bother switching to any other distro after Arch smile

#3 2009-06-28 05:34:11

Bregol

1. Probably the most common reason: If you wanted to keep /home the same while changing distributions or reinstalling the OS for some reason or another, a separate partition for /home would be helpful (or a good backup of the /home directory that you can restore)

2. If you needed to set some hard limit to how much stuff users can put in /home, this would be one way to do that.

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#4 2009-06-28 06:24:26

atomicpookavirus

I'm getting errors in the configure system stage. I'm not sure what to do whith all the /etc/* files, so I've left them blank. When I select Set Root Password I 'm sent to an infinit loop of the error:
chroot: cannot run command 'passwd'  : No such file or directory
I can end it by hitting ^c. Where do I go from here?

Edit:
I'm guessing this has something to do with my fstab file being blank.

Last edited by atomicpookavirus (2009-06-28 06:31:25)

#5 2009-06-28 06:57:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Read and follow the Beginner's Guide. You shouldn't, mustn't, and can't just 'skip over' all the /etc/* files, those are important parts of your system. It would be like putting a car together and saying "I don't understand what the gearbox is for, so I'll leave it out or replace it with another tyre".

If you're having problems understanding what's in the guide, then ask here, someone will always be glad to help.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2009-06-28 07:52:56

atomicpookavirus

From Beginners Guide:

Note:  It is very important at this point to edit, or at least verify by opening, every configuration file. The installer script relies on your input to create these files on your installation. A common error is to skip over these critical steps of configuration.

oh heheh

#7 2009-06-28 07:59:49

sHyLoCk

atomicpookavirus wrote:

From Beginners Guide:

Note:  It is very important at this point to edit, or at least verify by opening, every configuration file. The installer script relies on your input to create these files on your installation. A common error is to skip over these critical steps of configuration.

oh heheh

Best woulkd be to write down the Install guide somewhere or better take a printout! It will make it easier for you during installation.

Last edited by sHyLoCk (2009-06-28 07:59:59)

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#8 2009-06-28 12:40:49

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I prefer installing with the beginner's guide loaded in a laptop or separate PC within viewing distance, but I understand that's not an option for some. You could always stay back late in the office to do this, after all, won't take more than an hour.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2009-06-28 15:03:49

majiq

I thought the beginner's guide or the install guide came with the install media, somewhere in /arch/, if I recall correctly. Isn't it possible to just use a different virtual terminal then?

#10 2009-06-28 22:14:26

atomicpookavirus

I definitely needed the beginners guide over the installation guide. It's all very clearly laid out in detail. I am having trouble on configuring my xorg.conf section "Monitor"...

Ensure there are horizontal sync and vertical refresh specs under section "Monitor". If not, add them:

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "Monitor0"
       VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
       ModelName    "Monitor Model"
       HorizSync     30.0 - 130.0 # Safe for LCD's
       VertRefresh   50.0 - 100.0 # Safe for LCD's and most CRT's.
EndSection

(If you do not know these specs, consult your monitor's documentation.)

Specify your default color depth under section "Screen":

I'm installing to a dell latitude (laptop with lcd) so I'll add the section as the guide suggests and see what happens but I'm curious -- how can I find out the details about my monitor?

Edit~3:
The touchpad works. running #:pacman -S xf86-input-synaptics did the trick.

Edit~2:
Plugging in a usb mouse lets me move the x cursor around. This lets me give focus to the zterm and show that the keyboard is working. This is good. I now know the problem is related to my touchpad. I was afeared that something much more dastardly was afoot.

Edit~1:
I set ~/.xinitrc to exec xterm and started x. The xterm showed up but I can't enter any text. Also, my cursor doesn't appear. I've disabled hotplugging to no avail.

Last edited by atomicpookavirus (2009-06-29 01:56:30)

#11 2009-06-29 02:14:27

atomicpookavirus

I'm running into trouble installing awesome. I've installed it with pacman and addded the line "exec ck-launch-session awesome" to ~/.xinitrc. X starts momentarily and I can wiggle a mouse pointer but it crashes, leaving the error:
error setting MTRR (base = 0xe0000000, size  = 0x01000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
This is total greek to me. If anyone has any idea, I'd love to hear them.

I just found this thread. Looks like I'm not alone.

Last edited by atomicpookavirus (2009-06-29 02:23:47)

#12 2009-06-29 03:28:08

thayer
Fellow
Website

Welcome aboard!  Since you've got Arch installed now your best chance of getting help from here onward is to open a new thread for each problem (unless of course a current thread exists already).

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

Board footer