You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-28 16:58:17

arch0r

dump dvd into a windows compatible format

hi all :>
is it possible to save a dvd into a plain mpeg file which is playable under windows? i dumped the whole movie using dumpstream and mencoder into one single file. mplayer and vlc play it fine under linux but in xp you can just hear the audio stream (also using vlc). i also don't want to do any encoding stuff, the quality should be quite the same smile

best regards :>

#2 2009-06-28 17:00:35

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: dump dvd into a windows compatible format

How about

cat /dev/dvd blabla.iso

?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-06-28 17:11:45

skottish
Forum Fellow

VLC and Mplayer barely care about containers, they're only concerned about streams. dumpstream is an effective way to get all streams into a new container, but it kills all DVD specific information. The simplest way to get Windows to play back the streams is to install quick show filters on that machine such as ffdshow hosted at VLC/x264:

http://x264.nl/

Another option is to create a DVD file structure, in which case dumpstream is creating more work than needs to be done. There are far better programs for that.

A third option is to re-encode the movie from dumstream. If you install the free DivX 7 codec on the Windows box, you can create a high profile H264/AAC stream in a matroksa container that will perform excellently. Then you do something fun like this. Note: If you don't have a fast computer, this may take a very long time. Also, upgrade to x264-git before doing this. It can be done without breaking the dependency chain right now. Use -deinterlace only for NTSC DVDs.

ffmpeg -deinterlace -threads 0 -i <input.mpg> -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -crf 20 -ab 256k -acodec libfaac <output.mkv>

#4 2009-06-28 18:13:39

arch0r

thx a lot for your replies but i can't install anything on the windows machine. so i've to find a way around to play a video in good quality through a portable version of vlc.

#5 2009-06-28 18:15:08

skottish
Forum Fellow

Now I'm confused. The same file that you got from dumpstream won't play in portable VLC?

#6 2009-06-28 18:24:49

arch0r

skottish wrote:

Now I'm confused. The same file that you got from dumpstream won't play in portable VLC?

nope, just the audio channel

#7 2009-06-28 19:00:15

skottish
Forum Fellow

Wow. That's surprising. What does VLC's console say about the stream?

By the way, I'm not sure about this, but VLC may also be hardware accelerated on Windows. The reason why DivX 7 is is because Windows has the code already built in.

#8 2009-06-29 05:01:43

Ranguvar

That's very odd. Please run MediaInfo (best info tool IMO, Windoze and GNU/Linux) over the file you dumped and post the results.

Also, IMHO VLC is subpar to properly configured Media Player Classic Homecinema (the new website makes it look like spyware, but it's a minimal open source clone of WMP 6.4 that is fantastic), ffdshow-tryouts (DON'T use codec packs. This should be all you ever need, besides perhaps QT Lite or Real Alternative Lite, etc. Make sure to configure it to decode all formats when installing. Download an SVN build, and don't get a 64-bit one), and Haali Media Splitter (Make it control all formats possible. This is what handles taking video and audio streams out of containers for playback). Install all that and you're 100% good. It sounds harder than it is tongue

#9 2009-06-29 18:52:52

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

+1 on any form of media player classic (MPC) + ffdshow .... although some releases/versions of ffdshow seem to be a bit too flaky.

Do as Ranguvar says, head to http://www.free-codecs.com/ grab MPC and download the 3 flavors of ffdshow and check which one works better for you, also consider QT Lite and Real Alternative Lite and you should be good to go for almost anything video file you can find.

On the splitter side of things .. never tried Haali Media Splitter, mostly I used the built in splitters or in case that didn't work I would try any splitter that came with windows (sure they used a bit more of cpu but usually were able to handle the stubborn files tongue )

VLC is still needed for some stubborn files that refuse to play properly on MPC (or for testing comparison purposes).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer