You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-30 07:20:56

alexmatos

Notifications not working at all! [SOLVED]

I had a feeling that notifications were not working properly in both my machines (a desktop and a laptop) for quite some time, but I never took the time or effort to really test it. Now I wanted to test a software that is all about notifications (https://launchpad.net/pydojo) but I get this error:

glib.GError: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files

I decided to investigate and tried this simple script (that depends on the 'python-notify' package), which gave me the same error:

import pynotify

def callback_function(notification=None, action=None, data=None):
     print "It worked!"

pynotify.init( "Some Application or Title" )
n = pynotify.Notification("Title", "body", "dialog-warning")
n.set_urgency(pynotify.URGENCY_NORMAL)
n.set_timeout(pynotify.EXPIRES_NEVER)
n.add_action("clicked", "Button text", callback_function, None)
n.show()

$ python notify.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "notify.py", line 11, in <module>
    n.show()
glib.GError: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files

I tried reinstalling glib and hal, with no success. Is anyone having this same problem?

I don't know if that is anything to do with this other issue, but I also can't shutdown or reboot through Gnome:

$ gnome-power-cmd.sh shutdown
Shutting down
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Shutdown" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.PowerManagement" doesn't exist

Failed

$ gnome-power-cmd.sh reboot
Rebooting
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Reboot" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.PowerManagement" doesn't exist

Failed

EDIT:
Sorry for that, I only had to install notification-daemon to make this work. In my defense, I must say there are not many places talking about this. I found it here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gno … creensaver

Last edited by alexmatos (2009-06-30 07:29:41)

#2 2010-07-28 00:41:03

maroxe

Re: Notifications not working at all! [SOLVED]

thanks bro for sharing this!

#3 2010-07-28 00:48:32

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Board footer