You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-30 09:14:27

guzz46

upgrading xorg-server [Solved]

Just a question, do i have to reconfigure xorg if an updated version has just been installed?
The reason i'm asking is when version 1.6.1 was installed on my pc the other day when i rebooted i got a locked blank screen at login, i tried to fix it but ended up doing a complete reinstall, i was also running the propitery ati drivers so i dont know if that had something to do with it.
Just trying to prepare for next time a new version is released.

Thanks

Last edited by guzz46 (2009-07-06 11:25:51)

#2 2009-06-30 09:31:20

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: upgrading xorg-server [Solved]

If xorg-server updates AND you're using non-free drivers then you'd have to recompile the modules for those drivers. I use nvidia not ati, but basically I just run makepkg -i on my local PKGBUILD for the nvidia drivers I use everytime I see an xorg/kernel update. I'd imagine the same is required for ati.

Full reinstall should NEVER be required for something like this, I believe.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-06-30 09:36:09

ndgrahams

Since updating yesterday, inlcuding an xorg-server update, my X is sometimes crashing on start - black screen and no effect from keyboard or mouse (even SysRq keys). And sometimes it doesn't and seems to work fine. I notice the xorg-server package is marked as out of date, so I'm hoping once that's updated (hopefully soon!) the problem will be fixed.

#4 2009-06-30 09:57:09

guzz46

Thanks i thought it was probably related to the catalyst drivers, i would use the open source drivers if they had powersaving for the newer R700 cards (my fan won't turn off otherwise) next time i will switch back to the open source drivers berfore updating xorg.

Full reinstall should NEVER be required for something like this, I believe.

your right i just figured out that i could have added 3 to the kernel grub list which would have booted up without X alowing me to fix things from there

Last edited by guzz46 (2009-07-03 09:19:08)

Board footer