You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-03 01:54:56

slackcub

FSCK and reboot issues with external USB drive

I'm having an issue with an external USB hard drive I'm using.  I've always had issues with this drive cause my reboot to "freeze" when it's mounted.  Basically the system message with be sent out, but it doesn't actually proceed with the reboot.  No switch to init 6 or anything, but the shutdown process is still active.  I can continue to use the computer as usual, but I can't cancel the existing shutdown or try to enter init level 6 by hand.  So I just got around this by unmounting the drive before I shutdown.  However, lately when I try to unmount the drive I get an error saying that the drive is in use and I should check to see what processes are using it by runing lsof or fuser. 

Yesterday I tried copying dsome files from the drive but there wasn't and activity on the drive. cp didn't report any errors though, it just sat there and did nothing.  I tried running fsck on the drive, but didn't get much farther.  I'll see some activity on the drive for about a second, then all activity stops and fsck just sits there. When I try to kill fsck, it won't.  Even with a kill -9. 

I'm really confused as to what is going on.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Anyone have any ideas what could be causing all this or what I can do to stop this?  Thanks in advance!

David
slackcub@gmail.com

Board footer