You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-18 06:23:47

darose

[new package] ddclient dynamic DNS service updater (v3.6.3)

New package: ddclient dynamic DNS service updater daemon.  Works nicely with dnydns.org, others.

Posted to incoming as:  ddclient-3.6.3-1.tar.gz

PKGBUILD:

# ddclient - dynamic DNS service updater daemon

# Contributor: David Rosenstrauch <darose@darose.net>

pkgname=ddclient
pkgver=3.6.3
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="ddclient is a Perl client used to update dynamic DNS entries for accounts on many dynamic DNS services."
# no url
#url=""
license="GPL"
depends=(perl)
backup=(etc/ddclient.conf)
install=ddclient.install
source=(http://members.rogers.com/$pkgname/pub/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz ${pkgname}d)
#md5sums=()

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
#  ./configure --prefix=/usr
#  make || return 1
#  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install

# core files
  install -D -m755 $pkgname $startdir/pkg/usr/sbin/$pkgname
  install -D -m755 ../${pkgname}d $startdir/pkg/etc/rc.d/${pkgname}d
  install -D -m600 sample-etc_ddclient.conf $startdir/pkg/etc/$pkgname.conf

# additional instructions, sample configs
  install -D -m644 README $startdir/pkg/usr/share/$pkgname/README
  install -m644 sample* $startdir/pkg/usr/share/$pkgname/
}

Please let me know any feedback.

DR

#2 2004-10-19 08:24:47

kumo
Website

Re: [new package] ddclient dynamic DNS service updater (v3.6.3)

I get an error, it tells me:
ERROR: ddclientd was not found in the build directory and is not a proper URL.

#3 2004-10-19 21:31:47

darose

Download the tar.gz from incoming.  All supporting files - including the daemon script you listed - are included in there.

DR

#4 2004-10-21 04:17:51

skoal
Website

Finally.  Someone else who uses ddclient.

And, yes sir, great minds do think alike.  I can only assume we are an elite 2 or 3 on Arch, since no PKGBUILD existed before.

If you discover some useful information while using ddclient, post back here or in this thread I started earlier while searching for a dyn.dns client.  "ez-ipupdate" is far easier to use and configure, but only "ddclient" was able to handle my specific needs, and the "dhcpcd" auto updater is sweet.  No need to run "ddclient" as a daemon.

#5 2004-10-21 16:00:43

darose

No real useful info to report on ddclient.  There's not much to it:  configure it once and then forget about it.  I will say that I've found it to be very good, though.  Quite reliable.  Didn't seem too difficult to configure either (though a little spare on documentation), but then again I've not used any other dyn dns clients to compare it to.  (Except a GUI-based one on Windows.)

Re: "No need to run "ddclient" as a daemon":  I guess that's true, but I can't understand why you wouldn't.  If you didn't then you'd have to remember to run it manually from the command line from time to time.  Doing it as a daemon seems to just make more sense to me:  configure it, add it to the daemons section of your rc.conf, and then forget about it.

BTW, since we both packaged this thing, I was thinking we might want to unify our PKGBUILDs.  You've got some things I don't (I didn't know there was a sourceforge project for it now) and I've got some things you don't (e.g., daemon script, displays post-install message, etc.).  What do you think about that?  I can try to do this when I get a spare minute, or you could feel free to try and tackle it first if you'd like.

One last feature I do want to add to the daemon, though (which, now that I think about it, we might want to wait for before doing another package):  set it up to not run as user root, since it doesn't need root privileges.  Dunno if you're on the arch mailing list, but I've been discussing how to do that over there recently.

Let me know what you think.

DR

#6 2004-10-21 22:31:38

skoal
Website

darose wrote:

Re: "No need to run "ddclient" as a daemon":  I guess that's true, but I can't understand why you wouldn't.

I have no need to run it as a daemon, since I use "dhcpcd" > 1.3.17.  As per the README, "ddclient" can run by itself automatically when my IP changes (and only then).  And, I set up a cron task to run once every month just incase it doesn't change.  With this setup, I don't have it running constantly, a dhcp event will trigger the process for me.  It does it's work, finishes, and kills itself.  I do nothing manually.  It's all transparent and automatic.  In fact, after configuring everything a month ago or so, it's already updated once from dhcpc trigger, and ran a cron update as well, and I was never aware of it until I checked the logs just now.

By the way, configuration wasn't trivial in my case.  I had a unique mutliple host setup, and as you say, the documentation is sparse.

As for the multiple package builds, you're more than welcome to do whatever you want to with mine.  I just post here occasionally, and assume package maintainers or others like yourself will do whatever they want to with it.

#7 2004-10-22 15:09:15

darose

I see.  That's kinda cool! - hooking it up as an event listener onto DHCPCD.  Didn't know you could do it that way.

Anyway, I probably will do another build of this package, then, integrating your changes, as well as the non-root-user stuff, and will post back here when I do.  Thanks a lot for sharing your expreriences.

On a side note:  I think that that DHCPCD even-listener configuration probably  wouldn't work in my setup.  My Net connection comes into a NAT/firewall box, and the server running ddclient is connected to that (rather than having the server directly connected to the Net).  So the server winds up having a static IP (internal to my network - 192.168.0.2), but I need to monitor the outside dynamic IP that my network appears to have to the outside world.  So with the server having a static internal IP, but having to monitor the outside IP, I think I gotta run it as a daemon.

#8 2004-12-30 01:48:28

gaspojo

darose wrote:

Anyway, I probably will do another build of this package, then, integrating your changes, as well as the non-root-user stuff, and will post back here when I do.

Hello! I also love ddclient. I was going to PKGBUILD it but then I found this thread. Have you made a merge between both scripts? Thank you.

#9 2004-12-31 17:27:51

darose

Not yet.  Planning to buy a new PC and install Arch on the old one, and will probably get to it then.  Maybe about a month or so.  You can use the existing ones in the mean time, and I'll post here when I do the update.

#10 2005-01-02 18:38:09

gaspojo

darose wrote:

You can use the existing ones in the mean time, and I'll post here when I do the update.

Please, do so. Thank you.

Board footer