You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-04 08:44:03

jmcejuela
Website

[SOLVED] Gnome: initial working directory set to / instead of HOME

Solved: See commentary #6

Hi there,

Since some weeks ago, don't know what I touched, everything starts from the root directory instead of starting from the home directory. That is, file managers, consoles, emacs, etc. start always in the root directory when searching for a file. I don't know why!

I have HOME properly adjusted and if I write "cd" in a console I go to home. Is there any other variable that controls the directory to start with?

Thanks smile

Last edited by jmcejuela (2009-07-05 11:17:13)

#2 2009-07-04 09:21:19

anonymous

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome: initial working directory set to / instead of HOME

No, there is no variable. It depends on where your shell (here it is your window manager) started. For example, if you were in console (without X11), changed to / and run startx, every program started by window manager will have / as working directory too. If your want to know more you can search for "working directory". What window manager/DE you use?

#3 2009-07-04 09:56:14

jmcejuela
Website

Hi,

I've been changing a lot my wm and dm lately (now I am having more an idea). I used to have IceWM with kdm or with slim and everything worked fine. Now I have stuck with Gnome and gdm, but as far as I remember everything worked fine at the beginning, and I use the same procedure to start X: from inittab, calling the proper dm. So I don't start manually from any terminal.

Any idea?

#4 2009-07-04 10:09:09

jmcejuela
Website

Yeah, the problem must be with a configuration file (or gconf) in Gnome. I opened Kde and Icewm from gdm and kdm and in both cases they had the "working directory" properly set.

What controls this in Gnome?

Last edited by jmcejuela (2009-07-04 10:18:38)

#5 2009-07-04 14:14:33

anonymous

I don't know, i have not used Gnome for a while. You can try to move your ~/.gconf to ~/.gconf-backup. If it fix the problem then move ~/.gconf-backup back to ~/.gconf and search in it. If it won't then problem is somewhere else.

#6 2009-07-05 10:15:10

jmcejuela
Website

OK, I found the problem... quite stupid. I had all the commands that I typically use (I only use shortcuts, never the mouse) bound with gnome keybindings. Somehow the commands start with the working directory in /, and that was the problem.

Solutions for Gnome:

-Use another program for keybindings.
-A quite poor workaround. Create an executable to call your commands:

#!/bin/bash
cd && $1

and it will force the working directory to HOME

-Gnome working properly??

//thanks @anonymous for your support

Last edited by jmcejuela (2009-07-05 10:22:50)

Board footer