You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-04 14:34:16

RyanCacophony
Website

Arch VirtualBox woes

Alright, I've been an arch user for almost 2 years now, but this one has got me stumped.

I have VirtualBox 3 running on a Vista 64 system (Out of neccessary circumstance x.x), so I decided I wanted a virtual Arch Box.  I ran into trouble installing every single version of arch.

I started with the 64 bit FTP install.  After a couple tries, I conclude it freezes before even loading at "net registered protocol family 2"

Ok, whatever, let's try the 32 bit FTP install

Gets through fine, I get to the setup.  I start doing my disk partitioning, and choose ext4. When I write the filesystems in, all of a sudden, my screen is FLOODED with errors. I restart, and try again, same thing.

Alright, so I'll go with ext3. That goes through fine, but now, Pacman hangs on package installation; I look it up, change my network adapter to bridged, restart and try again. Download everything, packages don't install.  O.o

Fine, lets try core.

Core 64 bit: same problem as FTP 64.

Core 32: tried ext4 for kicks, same problem.  I go with ext3, install all the packages, everything goes through, I restart and load Arch, things are awesome.  I do my Pacman -Syu as required on a core install, that finishes and I start to try installing packages. Somethings wrong with a module. (I didn't document it unfortunately) but I restart.  Arch boots up and decides it cant mount stuff, so it drops me into recoverymode with ramfs................

So now I'm here.
Conclusion: 64 bit Arch is broken in VirtualBox 3, ext 4 is broken on VirtualBox 3, and Pacman -Syu breaks shit.

Can anyone give me some guidance on installing arch under VirtualBox? D:

"The human race will begin solving its problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously."
Arch.64 :: Dell XPS M1710 | Core Duo 2.16 GHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb HDD (7200 RPM) | 17" 1920x1200
.:[tw] | [fb]:.

#2 2009-07-04 19:30:57

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch VirtualBox woes

Maybe you should use vbox 2.2.4 wink
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=75314

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2009-07-05 09:34:19

_Mike_

Arch doesn't work anymore in VirtualBox if you update. I tried downgrading and it's the same, VBox crash when Arch is booting.
See http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. … 890#p83890
Many others are having the same problem......

#4 2009-07-05 10:23:26

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

+1 for downgrading to 2.2.4 for now.  The promise of SMP in guests is very nice, but 3.0.0 just isn't stable yet unfortunately.  The nice thing about Arch (and most distros) is that you can install into a VM under 2.2.4 and still have the ability to use multiple cores later on wo/ a reinstall since the kernel in most distros supports 32 or 64 CPUs with no change,  You might need to reinstall Vista under 3.x with multiple cores enabled to get the SMP Winblows kernel...  XP is certainly like this; I haven't used Vista so I can't comment.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer