You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-07 07:12:34

Veovis Muad'dib

Ideas on where to start making a game?

I'm thinking of making a, well... rather system destructive game.  A version of Roulette that uses programs installed through pacman as the currency.  The idea is to install a base system in a VM, then add a bunch of random programs, then launch the game.  In the game, if you fill up the hard drive to the point where you can't install any more programs, yet you get to install another program, you win.  And, of course, if you crash the system, you lose.  Winning bets install programs, losing bets uninstall programs (regardless of dependencies) and 0 or 00 always do something bad, but I'm not sure what yet.  rm -rf / is too broken, any ideas would be welcome.

The game would have to run without x, that's an absolute requirement.

Another requirement, is that I'd need to find out how to wrap pacman such that it doesn't need any user intervention.  Otherwise, cheating would be really easy.  EDIT: I can't believe I forgot, but there's a no confimation switch I can use.  If I use this, will I need any other work to make sure nothing needs a y/n or similar?

This thread is more to announce that I'm going to try to do this, less to ask for help.  But I will not refuse help.  Ideas, nitpicks, code, a reccomendation for how to start, all of these would be welcome.  Especially where to start.  A base roulette game that's open source would be awesome, but my cursory google searches so far tell me that's not likely.

I'd also like some feedback on whether or not I should release it when I'm done.  If I do, it'd have warnings all over, but even then...

And lastly, I'm just going to download all the packages in the repos and host my own mirror when I play.  My little game shouldn't cost the community as much bandwidth as it would without a private mirror.

Last edited by Veovis Muad'dib (2009-07-07 07:15:40)

#2 2009-07-07 08:08:33

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Ideas on where to start making a game?

Veovis Muad'dib wrote:

And lastly, I'm just going to download all the packages in the repos and host my own mirror when I play.  My little game shouldn't cost the community as much bandwidth as it would without a private mirror.

Veovis Muad'dib wrote:

I'd also like some feedback on whether or not I should release it when I'm done.  If I do, it'd have warnings all over, but even then...

Most people won't create a private mirror and even if they did, it would still lead to a cumulatively significant amount of bandwidth, so please don't release this.
It would be the equivalent of showing up to accept food handouts for the sake of having a food fight.

As for the "game" concept in general, I think it would be far more interesting and far more edifying for yourself to create some partially redundant system of cellular automata and then play with those to see what happens. Aside from learning a lot, you might make Stephen "I'm the f*cking science messiah" Wolfram proud.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2009-07-07 09:53:32

Veovis Muad'dib

Re: Ideas on where to start making a game?

Xyne wrote:

Most people won't create a private mirror and even if they did, it would still lead to a cumulatively significant amount of bandwidth, so please don't release this.
It would be the equivalent of showing up to accept food handouts for the sake of having a food fight.

I completely agree.  That's another reason I posted this, I wouldn't have even though about that.  So yeah, I won't release it if I do it.

Xyne wrote:

As for the "game" concept in general, I think it would be far more interesting and far more edifying for yourself to create some partially redundant system of cellular automata and then play with those to see what happens. Aside from learning a lot, you might make Stephen "I'm the f*cking science messiah" Wolfram proud.

Yes, that sounds very fun as well, but seriously, either I'm completely out of touch with everyone else's sense of humor, or this is fall out of your chair funny. 

Okay, even if I do proceed with this, I won't keep talking about it, and I won't release it anywhere.  That way I'm only having a food fight with myself, in my own house.  Besides, now that I actually think about it, it would be a ton of effort to first make the game, and then copy a VM to trash it.  And it'd only be this funny for the first ten or so rounds.  So much for late night ideas. sad

Board footer