You are not logged in.

#26 2009-08-01 09:05:31

whaler

Re: Shiretoko/Firefox crashing on ever more sites

Since installing Flashblock, FF/Shiretoko has not crashed when opening a URL, but it still crashes when I try to play a Flash file on _some sites.

For example Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/

is one such site.

I am really at a loss as to what is causing this - especially since others with 64 bit systems are reporting no trouble at all.

#27 2009-08-01 09:28:50

fourreux

Don't know if thats related, but it should be worth a try:

I got ff crashing whenever I wanted to go in fullscreen mode with flash applications. Apart of that ff was crashing randomly quite often.

I disabled "hardware acceleration" in the flash settings (right click on a flash thingy and uncheck the box). ever since no more crashes at all.

#28 2009-08-01 12:38:29

whaler

Hi fourreux -

I disabled hardware acceleration as you suggested (incidentally, the settings are greyed out on some sites), but Shiretoko still crashes on files at the Guardian.

This is getting on my nerves - my wife smiles and says everything is da-di-dum in Windows... sad

BTW - in Edit-Preferences-Applications I had Flash-film set to geckomediaplayer, which I changed to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so. This did not help any. Shiretoko works fine on most sites, but crashes on others.

Last edited by whaler (2009-08-01 13:02:25)

#29 2009-08-01 16:06:35

berbae

Hi whaler
I don't experience crashes with the Guardian link you mentionned watching videos in there.
Hardware acceleration is checked in the flash configuration box.
I have the 64 bit versions of :
firefox 3.5.1-1
flashplugin 10.0.32.18-1

Intel Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5200  @ 2.50GHz
4GB ram memory
NVIDIA GPU GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i (C73) with 512MB memory.

Last edited by berbae (2009-08-01 16:09:04)

#30 2009-08-07 13:07:39

whaler

Hi berbae

Arch + KDE is getting better and better - very nice to see that Dolphin is finally getting some improvements! BUT - Shiretoko still crashes on several flash files/sites...

I am using the same flashplugin as you, and the latest FF/Shiretoko 3.5.2, with

AMD Athlon 64
2 GiB RAM
ATI Technologies Inc RV380 0x3e50 [Radeon X600] with 256 MiB memory

However, I doubt it is to do with hardware, since flash is working on most sites. My guess is that it is a configuration thing, or a combination of installed packages, but what/which...?

#31 2009-08-07 16:11:01

berbae

Yes the new KDE 4.3 release seems to be more optimized and with improved and new features to be explored.
Until now all is working well on my desktop PC.

It is weird that flash videos cause Firefox crashes on your desktop.
I see only two differences :
less RAM
ATI video card vs Nvidia, with less memory.

Maybe some videos need more memory or use some code not executed correctly by the graphical driver.
I don't know for sure about that, but we can only notice that there are differences between our two hardwares.
Maybe if you can afford to buy some more RAM...

You wrote :

BTW - in Edit-Preferences-Applications I had Flash-film set to geckomediaplayer, which I changed to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so.

i have the automatically set line :

SWF ---------> Use Shockwave Flash (in Shiretoko)

I didn't write the plugin name as you did (don't know if that is important though).

It's true that Shockwave Flash or SilverLight, which are proprietary closed softwares, are not so well integrated in Linux systems as in Micr0soft(R)(C) systems. It is all about the closed vs free open source opposition.
But the open source softwares weight is now growing in the busyness and personal computers, and Micr0soft(R)(C) are now admitting the "threat".
Maybe things will become brighter in the future for the integration in Linux of all the video protocols used over the Internet.

Have nice summertimes.

#32 2009-08-11 20:05:57

whaler

My "SWF" is set the same as yours. "Flash-Film" is another config line on the same page...

Yes, the hardware differences may explain the different behaviour, but SWF in Firefox does allegedly work on lower end systems than mine. And it works fine under Arch i586 on another, much older box I have.

BTW, trying SWF in The Guardian no longer crashes Shiretoko. Instead I get a a white square, i.e. nothing. Rien! wink

Oh well. I wish you a pleasant summer in return.

#33 2009-08-14 09:38:32

fredo696
Website

The crashes are caused by the (what else?) flash plugin with certain CPUs!

Solution is here! Spread the word!

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 01#p587601

Arch 64 / AMD PhenomII X4 940 / Nvidia integrated or ATI Radeon depending upon X.Org driver bugs! (main rig)
Arch 64 / AMD E-350 / HP DM1z (laptop)

Board footer