You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-09 00:57:13

iscalio

(Solved) Audio in Flash

Hi, I am new to these forums and Arch Linux.  I am a converted Debian user.

So far, I find Arch extremely efficient and nice.  The community in particular is extremely helpful.

On to my actual problem, I cannot get audio to work in flash videos.  While I am against using Adobe programs in general, I decided to break down and get it anyway because I want to watch things on YouTube and MegaVideo.  In the wiki it told me to edit my /etc/rc.conf and edit my blacklisting module.  I input what was said there (which I did yesterday and can no longer find in the wiki), but then my flash videos stopped working.

Any ideas?

Last edited by iscalio (2009-07-12 08:50:03)

#2 2009-07-09 12:57:30

Trent

Re: (Solved) Audio in Flash

Does audio work with other things (e.g. mplayer, beep), or is it just flash?

If you can post the changes to your rc.conf it may help us help you.

#3 2009-07-10 08:44:24

iscalio

The Wiki wrote:

The fix is easy, just disable oss (almost all programs are converted to alsa these days) by blacklisting the oss module in /etc/rc.conf in the MODULES section: !snd-pcm-oss

I did this, and it made Flash stop working, so I changed it back.  The sound in VLC does not work either, which is weird considering the test sound worked.  I had another person install Arch on my comptuer, so I am not sure what to say about how it is configured to have my problem more detailed.

I opened the ALSA mixer, and everything seems to be in order in that regard, but I cannot get the sound to work on either firefox or vlc.  I was suggest to do this:

sudo modprobe snd_pcm_oss

But that did not enable firefox or any other kind of sound to be enabled.  So, I am back to the drawing board.

I have tried researching the problem, but it is difficult to know what to research.

Oh, and alsa is also in my daemons in my rc.conf.

This may help to explain the error.  When I try to open vlc from the command prompt it says this:

[0x8d00548] jack audio output error: failed to connect to JACK server
[0x8d00548] oss audio output error: cannot open audio device (/dev/dsp)

My lspci says:
ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller

Last edited by iscalio (2009-07-10 09:09:38)

#4 2009-07-10 16:49:26

londy

My problem might've been different from yours but I just got flash audio working on Arch by installing pulseaudio and libflashsupport-pulse (AUR). The pulseaudio wiki says libflashsupport-pulse is no longer required but it was the only way I could get flash audio working on my system.

The other thing I had to do was open up the sound mixer and enable all the switches and also go to PulseAudio Volume Control and choose the correct profile under configurations.

Doing all that made all my sound work.

#5 2009-07-11 01:00:38

iscalio

The pulse volume control did not want to work with my sound card.  It gave me a long list of errors, the most chief of which was saying my sound card did not exist.

Any other ideas?

#6 2009-07-12 08:50:24

iscalio

Finally fixed it.

I had to mute "External" in my alsamixer.

Board footer