You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-09 01:43:19

Intrepid

Awesome and it's new Adjustable Window Sizes

With the new release of awesome, it is now possible to create different-sized windows with more than mwfact.  Example:

|----------------------------------|--------------|
|                                           |                 |
|             Master window         |   pidgin      |
|                                           | buddylist    |
|                                           |                  |
----------------------------------------------------
|                                |                             |
|  slave terminal          |      slave window    |
|---------------------------------------------------|

Notice the width difference between one master window and the other in this layout.  Try it for yourself by setting nmaster to 2 and mouse resizing the height/width.  You'll find you can manipulate both!  In the default layout, the height is what is adjustable!  Now it's possible with mouse resize!  My questions are:

1) Is it possible to set a preconceived value for the subwidths of certain applications or windows e.g. pidgin to start off with a smaller size on a given tag?  It's annoying having to use the mouse to fix this every time.  I KNOW some variable is being manipulated, because once I set it, it is that way forever throughout my awesome session.

2) Is it possible to resize these widths (or heights depending on your layout) WITHOUT using the mouse?  Using a keybinding, much like MWFACT?  I'm not sure what kind of variables awesome uses for this, but it seems constant throughout the session.

Thank you!

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-07-09 01:44:32)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#2 2009-07-09 17:41:19

anrxc
Website

Re: Awesome and it's new Adjustable Window Sizes

Intrepid wrote:

1) Is it possible to set a preconceived value for the subwidths of certain applications or windows e.g. pidgin to start off with a smaller size on a given tag?

For my IM tag I use a mwfact of 0.13 with the tile layout. Roster is the master, and chat windows get the rest of the workspace.

Intrepid wrote:

2) Is it possible to resize these widths (or heights depending on your layout) WITHOUT using the mouse?  Using a keybinding, much like MWFACT?  I'm not sure what kind of variables awesome uses for this, but it seems constant throughout the session.

Of course.

-- Global keys
---- resizing slaves
awful.key({ modkey, "Shift" }, "l", function () awful.client.incwfact(-0.05) end),
awful.key({ modkey, "Shift" }, "h", function () awful.client.incwfact(0.05) end),

-- Client keys
---- resizing and moving floaters
awful.key({ modkey }, "Next",  function () awful.client.moveresize(20, 20, -20, -20) end),
awful.key({ modkey }, "Prior", function () awful.client.moveresize(-20, -20, 20, 20) end),
awful.key({ modkey }, "Down",  function () awful.client.moveresize(0, 20, 0, 0) end),
awful.key({ modkey }, "Up",    function () awful.client.moveresize(0, -20, 0, 0) end),
awful.key({ modkey }, "Left",  function () awful.client.moveresize(-20, 0, 0, 0) end),
awful.key({ modkey }, "Right", function () awful.client.moveresize(20, 0, 0, 0) end),

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2009-07-11 19:38:26

Intrepid

Cool thanks.  Any way to have an intial wfact for a certain workspace?  I'm thinking that I will have one browser and one buddylist in the master pane.  Any way I can make it so the browser takes up more width (height if your master pane is on the left/right) initially than the buddy list?  I normally execute the browser first, so it has first precedence in the master pane.  Thanks

#4 2009-07-11 20:13:15

anrxc
Website

Intrepid wrote:

Cool thanks.  Any way to have an intial wfact for a certain workspace?

Sure, but I can't give you an exact code since tags can be setup in many ways... so, depends how you setup your tags. Check how I setup mine (together with default mwfact) http://sysphere.org/~anrxc/local/scr/do … c.lua.html

Intrepid wrote:

I'm thinking that I will have one browser and one buddylist in the master pane. I normally execute the browser first, so it has first precedence in the master pane.

You can start your apps in correct order, and you can also make use of "setslave" - where new windows become slaves, not masters.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#5 2009-07-12 00:56:53

Intrepid

anrxc wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Cool thanks.  Any way to have an intial wfact for a certain workspace?

Sure, but I can't give you an exact code since tags can be setup in many ways... so, depends how you setup your tags. Check how I setup mine (together with default mwfact) http://sysphere.org/~anrxc/local/scr/do … c.lua.html

Intrepid wrote:

I'm thinking that I will have one browser and one buddylist in the master pane. I normally execute the browser first, so it has first precedence in the master pane.

You can start your apps in correct order, and you can also make use of "setslave" - where new windows become slaves, not masters.

Indeed, Yes, I make new windows setslave, and I have a larger-than-normal mwfact big_smile.  I read your rc.lua and it seems to work nicely.  However, suppose nmaster is 2 how can I make wfact for the second window default to a lower value?  My tag rules are set up just like yours with a different naming scheme.

Thanks, you have been very receptive.

[Edit] Looking at your config I just saw that wfact is in awful.client.  I will try to edit my hooks so that if window X matches a web browser, its wfact will increase?  I have been messing with windows to try to understand the mechanism, and it appears that any wfact change in the master pane will "stick" with that position in the master pane, NOT with the client itself, so I'm curious as to what is actually going on.

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-07-12 01:48:58)

Board footer