You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-10 03:04:27

windtalker

tk & sh?

I'm doing a reinstall for various reasons and have hung 4 times at installing python for rankmirrors.
After python is installed I get a message about tk and sh with an error about a file not being read because it's missing.
The error indicates that tk wasn't installed and I havn't a clue why sh would be showing an error.
To cut to the chase, I did pacman -Syy and then did pacman -Sy tk sh.
tk was installed along with bash being reinstalled.
I got an error but a reboot fixed things and the install so far is going forwards.
I'm writing this from Absolute and I'm waiting for xorg to install.
I'll post back if there are more problems relating to the error.

#2 2009-07-10 03:10:45

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: tk & sh?

The tk message is about needing tk as an optional dependency for idle.  You will probably need to post the full error message for us to be of any more help.

#3 2009-07-10 03:38:28

iphitus
Forum Fellow

The install iso probably does not have the new readline rebuild, yet the python you installed required it.

Before installing anything, it is strongly recommended that you do a "pacman -Syu". While rankmirrors is useful, it's not essential and it's not difficult to pick a usable mirror by editing mirrorlist by hand.

#4 2009-07-10 04:08:39

windtalker

i had intended to write the error message down and got sidetracked.
The install is nearly finished now and I havn't received the error again.
The .iso is about two months old and I had no problems with it at that time.
I had checked the version with the downloads section and they matched but naturally the .iso pacakges would be different than what's in the repo now.

The install iso probably does not have the new readline rebuild, yet the python you installed required it.

The error did refer to readline and the error didn't surface until python was installed.
I was sidetracked by trying to figure out the problem and never thought to go ahead and try pacman -Syu as hindsight tells me that would have made more sense than what I did to rectify the problem.

Board footer