You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-10 15:29:22

pythonscript

Prep to transition from ubuntu to arch

I've been using ubuntu for several months now, and I'm eagerly looking forward to switching to arch. Do the majority of apps that run on ubuntu run under arch as well? I know openoffice does, but I'm mainly wondering about development apps (codeblocks, eclipse with most of its plugins, python's idle, scite, netbeans, stuff like that). That's the main thing I use my laptop for, so I'm hoping all that stuff runs pretty well and installs pretty easy from pacman. Thanks for the help!

Lenovo SL510 Thinkpad / Asus EEEPC 1005HA
No hables a menos que puedas mejorar el silencio. - Neruda
La sabiduría nos llega cuando ya no nos sirve de nada. - Márquez

#2 2009-07-10 15:39:16

hardly

Re: Prep to transition from ubuntu to arch

Just about everything that works in Ubuntu should work in Arch. If it doesn't run or isn't there, there's probably a fix or you could compile it from source. 
Be prepared to deal with a whole host of new problems though. And get used to no X. That's the main problem with Arch that I've had. I've been using the x86_64 version. It feels a whole lot more stable than Ubuntu 64-bit. Which is why I'm slowly and continuously migrating away from Ubuntu.

#3 2009-07-10 15:43:07

djszapi
Website

Hello pythonscript!

First of all:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … er_Distros

But if a package isn't available now on arch, you can upload a PKGBUILD to AUR, it's similar like in gentoo overlays.

Don't think it will be easy after Ubuntu first time, but it will be more usefull i think.

Don't hesitate, just change tongue

#4 2009-07-10 16:42:44

pythonscript

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "a whole host of new problems?" This is my primary machine, and I'm looking for speed, specifically, but I'd rather not deal with an unstable setup. Are you saying that the 64-bit version of Arch (I run 64-bit Ubuntu right now) is more stable than the 64-bit version of Ubuntu? It'd be nice to have a stable 64-bit os that isn't windows vista... By no X, I can still use a desktop environment (I'm used to gnome, coming from ubuntu) right? Thanks for the quick responses!

Lenovo SL510 Thinkpad / Asus EEEPC 1005HA
No hables a menos que puedas mejorar el silencio. - Neruda
La sabiduría nos llega cuando ya no nos sirve de nada. - Márquez

#5 2009-07-10 17:28:05

rusty99

Well, sounds like 'hardly' encountered some issues specific to his/her setup, which can happen regardless of whether it's a 64 or 32 bit install.
I've used x86_64 since I came back to Arch a few months ago and not had a single issue yet. You can use whatever WM/DE you prefer, and as long as you use common sense (subscribe to the mailing lists perhaps?) then you shouldn't encounter any problems, if you do, well that's what the wiki and forums are here for smile

#6 2009-07-11 07:36:41

rwd

I've moved from Ubuntu to Arch (both 64bit) a year ago. The problems I encountered seem to come mostly from the fact that Arch uses plain vanilla packages without special adaptations for the distro, combined with the fact that configuration is purposely left to the user. So for example when udev was introduced or Xorg updated I had to make the mice/keyboard work again. The solution is usually just a matter of changing a few lines in a config file or sticking some command in a script, all of which can be found in the forum and the wiki.  I don't remember having any problems resulting from serious bugs or bad packaging, except for a few user made packages from AUR.

It definitely takes more time to maintain than Ubuntu, but in exchange you will have a non-bloated, more up-to-date and faster system. So wether you'll like arch depends on your priorities.

Last edited by rwd (2009-07-11 08:05:23)

#7 2009-07-11 08:40:56

mcmillan

How disappointing nobody's pointed to the beginner's guide yet. That should help you a lot to get set up. As general advice I'd suggest what ever issues you run into, look to wiki first, then search the forums. I rarely run into issues that aren't already answered in one of those two places but if you still are confused then ask here, the community is generally real helpful, but we appreciate people showing a little effort on their own.

Others have already covered more or less what to expect. I would say if it's critical to have a working system right away it may be better to initially setup dual booting with your ubuntu. Chances are you won't have major problems as long as you do some reading to know what to expect, but there's always a chace you may have some weird quirks so it's not a bad idea to have a fall back if you need it.

Board footer