You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-11 16:54:22

ADI64

Multimedia Hotkeys in Gnome... generally confusing [solved]

Heyho everyone,

I got some weird problems using the multimedia keys of my Chicony KBR0108 USB wireless Keyboard.
My system is up to date and I'm using Device Hotplugging in my Xserver, so I use the "evdev" Germany Layout in Gnome.
I think all these problems are caused by one misconfiguration, so even if you don't know a solution for one problem, go ahead and reply smile

The first strange thing is: When I map the multimedia keys to default actions like "Audio => Play" in the Gnome hotkey manager, they work and eg. the "play" command is issued to the player (via dbus imho).
However, this doesn't work with QuodLibet, for example, and I also want to do slightly other actions with the keys (for example, the default Gnome Action for lowering the music volume is lowering the alsa "Master" channel, which is quite annoying) and therefore I would like to use my own commands.
The problem is: If I map a multimedia key like XF86AudioPlay to an own action, the command isn't executed. But: If I map the command to a "normal" combination like [ctrl] + p, they work again.

The second strange thing is: When I'm using compiz and configure the hotkeys in Compiz-Config, all multimedia keys work. However, I don't really want to use compiz. Sure, it looks nice and the effects are cool, but Metacity is faster and I don't have problems with applications or games using OpenGL.

The third strange thing is: xev's behaviour is really strange. xev | grep keycode displays all keys I press, but not the multimedia keys.
Btw: I am doing this in a console-emulator in my Gnome session.
However, and this is even more strange, if I press multiple multimedia keys at once, it suddenly displays them. What the heck?

I hope somebody is able to tell me what's going on here neutral

// Edit: Problem solved. Please look below.

Last edited by ADI64 (2009-07-25 15:59:57)

#2 2009-07-13 18:38:43

ADI64

Re: Multimedia Hotkeys in Gnome... generally confusing [solved]

I know bumping is not a fine thing to do, but has anyone got a clue what's going on?
Most of my problems have weird symptoms and the solution is something completely different.
Example: I had problems executing some applications in wine, the game gave weird errors. Solution: The partition somehow lost the "exec" flag in /etc/fstab.

#3 2009-07-13 20:25:25

thoughtcrime
Website

For the first and second issue: Gnome (or Compiz, depending) seems to be blocking these keys exclusively. If you use amarok, there's a special plugin for gnome hotkeys available. You could try to unbind the keys via gnome-keybinding-properties and try it with xev and xorg.conf again. I hope this is helpful.

- blog (about arch and other stuff): http://thoughtyblog.wordpress.com/
- x86_64 user

#4 2009-07-14 14:45:01

ADI64

Thanks for your reply smile

Sadly, unbinding the keys via the Gnome Hotkey dialog doesn't work.
As described in my first post, mapping the multimedia keys to predefined actions like "Audio->Play" (which can't be edited or deleted) works, but mapping them to new actions doesn't work.
I also think that, like you said, Gnome seems to block these keys. My goal is to find out why it does that and how I can stop it wink

#5 2009-07-25 15:59:28

ADI64

Okay, the issue is solved.
The problem was simple, yet confusing: Changing commands in the gnome-hotkey-dialog didn't really change the commands which werde executed, although the new commands were displayed in the dialog even after some reboots.
Changing the commands manually with the gconf-editor finally did the trick.
Really weird shit.

Board footer