You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-12 02:05:59

skomes

solved - VMware no keyboard - can't access shell/console

I setup vmware with arch, installed xorg/kde, started KDE and found I couldn't get my keyboard working.

I decided to just stop the machine and fix it later but now I can't get to the console again.

When it boots I get thrown to a KDE login right away, and when I use my mouse to select 'console login', it goes the console for a split second and then right back to the KDE login.

So because my keyboard doesn't work I can't login, I need to edit the xorg.conf file according to the wiki, because in the beginners guide it tells you how to disable hotplugging, and then in the vmware guide it tells you reverse that decision...you guys need to fix the wiki on that issue.

How can I fix this without reinstalling?

I am trying to use an ubuntu livecd, but I can't save the file due to insufficient permissions, and I don't know how to change my permissions to save to the virtual hard drive. I assumed that it was mounted as read/write, and that the livecd booted as root. Is this not the case?

EDIT:

Ok, so I had to allow root login from ubuntu, I mounted it and edited xorg.conf, now I'm going to try it again.

Last edited by skomes (2009-07-12 02:47:09)

Board footer