You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-12 21:32:54

Jim Rogers

How to start wmii-hg?

Hello--

I'm  a new Arch user. I was able to install Arch and get wmii up and running. I wanted to configure wmii such that the tag/status bar was at the top of the screen. On this forum (the wmii thread), I found the suggestion to run

wmiir xwrite /ctl bar on top

When I tried that, it had an error with the /ctl part of the command. Elsewhere, I saw a post that indicated that command doesn't work in wmii, but, rather, in wmii-hg. Many here recommend wmii-hg, so I decided to go for it.

So I installed yaourt and successfully installed wmii-hg (including the library that everyone else was having problems with). But how do you start it? Do you change the .xinitrc to exec wmii-hg? Tried that and it couldn't start X. Tried exec wmii and it seemed to go into wmii, not wmii-hg.

On another website, Someone said that they removed wmii after a wmii-hg install and it worked. Tried that, and now I can't get X to start at all. It gives an MTRR error.

So my main question is-- after a wmii-hg install, how do you direct your system to start wmii-hg when you start X? I've searched the forum and wiki and just can't seem to find the answer to this.

Secondarily, how can I get my system to startx again? Should I re-install wmii? Reinstall the whole system?

Thanks,

--Jim

#2 2009-07-12 23:02:15

rusty99

Re: How to start wmii-hg?

All I remember doing was removing wmii and ~/.wmii.
Copied the setup with cp -a /etc/wmii-hg ~/.wmii-hg. To start from cli I type xinit wmii due to my .xinitrc layout but otherwise xinit should work.
You could always try specifying the full path, ie xinit /usr/bin/wmii

My .xinitrc if it's any help

#!/bin/sh
#setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
setxkbmap gb & 
xset r rate 250 25 & xrandr --dpi 96 &
ARG=$1
DEFAULTWM="openbox-settings"  # specify the default argument here

if [ ! $ARG ]; then
    ARG=$DEFAULTWM
fi

if [ $ARG = "wmii" ]; then
    WM=wmii
elif [ $ARG = "rio" ]; then
    WM=rio
elif [ $ARG = "xmonad" ]; then
    WM=xmonad
else
    WM=$DEFAULTWM
fi
exec ck-launch-session $WM

As an aside, moving the bar should be quite straight forward, although wmiir xwrite /ctl bar on top will only work for a single session, you'd probably want to alter .wmii-hg/wmiirc to maintain it over sessions.
Output of wmiir read /ctl

bar on bottom
border 2
colmode stack
focuscolors #FFA620 #222222 #3C3C3C
font -*-terminus-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
grabmod Mod1
incmode squeeze
normcolors #60799C #222222 #333333
view 1

Someone without plan9port can see wmiir xwrite /ctl bar on top works?

#3 2009-07-13 19:05:27

plurt

<offtopic> what's the difference between wmii-hg and 'normal' wmii? I haven't found any info on the net other than the pages in arch/aur</offtopic>

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

#4 2009-07-13 19:19:10

Ranguvar

wmii-hg uses the latest Mercurial revision instead of the latest official release. -cvs, -svn, and -git packages are the same, just for software that uses a different SCM. Expect instability in the software.

#5 2009-07-13 21:37:36

plurt

Ranguvar wrote:

wmii-hg uses the latest Mercurial revision instead of the latest official release. -cvs, -svn, and -git packages are the same, just for software that uses a different SCM. Expect instability in the software.

ah, get it, thanks smile

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

Board footer