You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-15 14:54:11

yvonney

USB 3G modem FTP Install using currently working wvdial possible? or?

[OBJECTIVE: clean FTP install using ONLY usb 3G modem]

Happy to find that my USB 3G modem works great by running a small .conf file which is: /etc/wvdial.conf.

I am hoping that I can boot from either the ARCH 2009.02 ISO or ARCHBOOT ISO and install via FTP to get all the most recent, obviously.

wvdial has about 4 or 5 dependencies.

Should I simply download wvdial packages/dependencies from a mirror, THEN install them first with pacman -U 'pkg'

Well, actually that doesn't sound right.

This is a new area for me. Could a guru, or two :--), advise me as to how I can use my usb 3G modem to do a clean FTP install??
I currently have only this modem and not wifi or wired.

Perhaps there's a better way other than wvdial. I don't expect that wvdial is on either ARCHBOOT or offical ISO installer.

Great thanks for reading!

Last edited by yvonney (2009-07-15 15:15:45)

#2 2009-07-15 17:06:20

kjon

Re: USB 3G modem FTP Install using currently working wvdial possible? or?

why don't you use plain ppp? there is a article of it on the wiki. The only thing you might need is the proper modules of your modem (that I guess are included on the arch's isos).

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#3 2009-07-15 18:46:57

yvonney

That's very interesting.

So, SOMEHOW:-) figuring out how to use ppp instead of the little script/conf i've got working would mean that I could somehow get either ARCHBOOT or ARCH install iso to find my Huawei e156g usb 3G modem VIA ppp and then do an FTP install with no other internet connection.

Any tips beyond where I'm currently stuck would be great. I think if I look for ppp info I'll figure it out eventually and I will sure be working on this! thanks!

ppp is for dial-up it seems and what I've so far read it seems like 3G usb modems are kind of dial-up as well only just faster.

??

:--)

Last edited by yvonney (2009-07-15 18:47:12)

#4 2009-07-15 23:11:09

kjon

If you need some fancy configuration, there is always the 'chat' program. You can use it to pass the weirdo AT sequences to your modem (actually, I own a huawei e220, so I do understand your pain xD).

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#5 2009-07-16 17:47:47

yvonney

nice! thanks.

So, right this minute I've used the arch install cd and done a base install.
Now, it's got ppp pppd I believe.

I'm wondering what parts for the working wvdial.conf file I have is needed to get it to dial-up and connect.

BIG puzzle though should be great if I can figure it out. Don't really wanna try to install wvdial and all the deps as the best thing would be to be able to get online iwth the Huawei 3156 usb modem with JUST a base install.

any ideas?

#6 2009-07-16 18:12:02

kjon

the chat program can be used to pass the AT init strings to your modem. I haven't tried this method but, when I'm using slitaz (have a look at this tiny distro for more information) it connects using the pppd+chat combo. There is a lot of information in the configuration files, so I recommend you to check them out.

Cheers.

#7 2009-07-16 19:21:07

yvonney

ok

so, what chat program? any chat prog?  or is there one in particular?
I hope to be able to use only what is in a base/base-devel install or do a pacman -U 'pkg' for something extra that uses very few deps.

UPDATE: found this on beginners page of wiki. So, maybe chat IS in the base install as part of ppp. I will look for answers and ways to modify/use my wvdial orking .conf file.

Analog Modem

To be able to use a Hayes-compatible, external, analog modem, you need to at least have the ppp package installed. Modify the file /etc/ppp/options to suit your needs and according to man pppd. You will need to define a chat script to supply your username and password to the ISP after the initial connection has been established. The manpages for pppd and chat have examples in them that should suffice to get a connection up and running if you're either experienced or stubborn enough. With udev, your serial ports usually are /dev/tts/0 and /dev/tts/1. Tip: Read Dialup without a dialer HOWTO.

Instead of fighting a glorious battle with the plain pppd, you may opt to install wvdial or a similar tool to ease the setup process considerably. In case you're using a so-called WinModem, which is basically a PCI plugin card working as an internal analog modem, you should indulge in the vast information found on the LinModem homepage.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-07-16 19:30:44)

#8 2009-07-16 23:00:34

kjon

kjon@eee900 ~  $  pacman -Qo /usr/sbin/chat 
/usr/sbin/chat is owned by ppp 2.4.4-8

#9 2009-07-17 00:12:51

yvonney

great. thank you.

NOTE: my  e156 shows up as a 220/270  in lsusb and my wvdial.conf at the bottom here I believe I took from an e220 tutorial.
SO I guess the e156 is a lot like the e220 with different packaging mostly, maybe.

I'm having a struggle getting:

pppd /dev/ttyUVB0 

to work

The one thing I get is that it can't authenticate I think it was.
I actually have pretty much NO understanding of how to work with ppp/chat yet.
Do I just call it like
/usr/bin/chat
and I also read I should go
pppd /dev/ttyUSB0   which gives me the authenticate problem output.
I'm a bit WAY off I think.

I dropped in what I though might work into the /etc/ppp folder and chatscripts folder (had to create the chatscripts folder as it was not there in ARCH base install understandably)

# /etc/ppp/peers/ppp0

defaultroute
persist
/dev/ttyUSB0
user "three"
password "three"
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/ppp0"
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client    server    secret            IP addresses

username    *    password
# /etc/chatscripts/ppp0
ABORT 'BUSY'
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
ABORT 'ERROR'
'' AT
OK ATZ
#OK AT+CPIN=**** # pin code for SIM card if applicable
OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","three.co.uk"
OK ATDT*99***1#

I'd REALLY like to know how I can get   ppp and chat to work with this e156 usb modem
That was I can do a base install AND then get connected and do an FTP install

OR even just boot ARCHBOOT and maybe get  ppp and chat to work from the live cd installer

I feel like I'm still a ways from it all. I've done hours of looking though everyone seems to use wvdial

BELOW is the wvdial.conf that works well enough with a mint/ubuntu install. The three above code stuff I just thought might work a bit with ppp/chat based on what I read via google.

HERE's the working wvdial.conf   I just type  wvdial three and it works.

[Dialer defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB1

[Dialer three]
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Stupid Mode = 1
Modem Type = Analog Modem
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99\#
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
username = username
Password = password
Dial Command = ATDT
Baud =466600
Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","3internet"

Last edited by yvonney (2009-07-17 08:57:47)

#10 2009-07-17 03:47:46

kjon

May I recommend you something? Why don't you try a small distro?. I guess  slax may work pretty well here. You can add the 'wvdial' module and then, attemp a archlinux installation using the pacman-static package provided by the larch scripts. I know it might sound confusing but, everytime I need to install an arch machine I apply this method. The only software I need, repeating myself, is the package manager in it's static version.

You can always install an arch system by using the '-r' flag (this will set a new root for the packages) and then chroot into it for additional configuration. This approach has always worked for me.

I hope it helps. And I insist, wvdial and huawei *do work* on slax. I don't know any other way. I'm not a guru on ppp. Sorry sad

#11 2009-07-17 08:55:31

yvonney

very helpful. And, a technique I've used 'parts' of in the past. Additionally though, i thought that the pacman-static was now a problem or something. No matter as LARCH, ARCHISO, ARCHBOOT are all, to me, best practices and part of the needed skill-set.

Thing is, right now my thing is being able to totally install ARCHBOOT install with my offline repo-add  repo.... which works great. Though now there's new packages so I'm looking for the most minimalistic technique to getting new packages etc etc etc....

As I'm new to much and especially ppp/chat I should plod on trying to get online in the most primary way.

You idea has sparked a few thoughts as well of COURSE!!!! :--)

thanks!

Last edited by yvonney (2009-07-17 08:58:51)

Board footer