You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-22 17:50:14

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Any Wiki requests?

I thought it might be nice to have a thread where people could request wiki docs.
I didn't see another thread with the same purpose, but I have been blind before..

I will try to contribute some wiki stuff in the coming months, but I am very busy with school right now. Still, there may be others who want to contribute, have time to contribute, but just don't know what to contribute. This may be a way for people to get some ideas.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2004-10-22 18:06:36

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Any Wiki requests?

Well, off the top of my head here are some topics I could contribute to, if someone would start them (don't have a whole lot of time):
Laptop Installation
Wireless Networking (ndiswrapper,madwifi,etc)
Obscure Tips and Tricks (weird things that are cool in small ways...)

#3 2004-10-22 19:48:06

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

There is a DocumentRequests doc in the wiki where you can find items like this.  I don't think its getting used enough, so bringing it up in this thread might be a good thing. However, the wiki seems to be bjorked right now, so I can't provide a link. dammit dammit dammit.

I'd say the biggest undocumented issue is getting wireless tools working properly. I have no experience with this and no related hardware to gain experience, so I had to ignore it. wink  I think there is a wireless page, but more info would definately help.

Dusty

#4 2004-10-22 19:50:38

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Alright, I'll start a wiki doc later on (this weekend maybe) about wireless... I'm in the middle of making some universal wireless startup scripts using a "profile" paradigm... i.e. /etc/rc.d/wireless profile home or /etc/rc.d/wireless profile school with a setting in rc.conf: WIRELESS_PROFILES=('home') for bootup.

I'll write out the wiki and put my script there (as well as in my repo)

#5 2004-10-22 19:52:40

sarah31
Website

i request a wiki entry on how to cook mongoose. a bear friend iof mine from aus sent me some mongoose.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-10-22 20:00:52

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Recipe #1:
Ingredients: 1 well oiled mongoose
Directions: eat mongoose

Recipe #2:
Ingredients: 1/2 pound cubed mongoose
  1 cup basalmic vinegar
  1 tbsp. cumin powder
  2 tbsp. olive oil
  1 cup crushed peanuts
  1 tsp. flour
  2 minced onions
  1/2 cup cubed apple
Directions: eat mongoose

#7 2004-10-22 22:38:50

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I've made a decent sized update to the wireless howto... I will add much more later on.

* installation procedures for all wireless packages
* steps to bring up a wireless interface
* PKGBUILDS
* a wireless profile script for boot

#8 2004-10-22 22:51:18

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Am I the only one getting this error on the wiki then?:

lib/DbaDatabase.php:38: Fatal[256]: dba_open(/home/sites/archlinux/htdocs/wiki/db/wiki_pagedb.gdbm,c) [<a href='http://www.php.net/function.dba-open'>function.dba-open</a>]: Driver initialization failed for handler: gdbm: Can't be writer

lib/DbaDatabase.php:38: Fatal[256]: dba_open(/home/sites/archlinux/htdocs/wiki/db/wiki_pagedb.gdbm,c) [<a href='http://www.php.net/function.dba-open'>function.dba-open</a>]: Driver initialization failed for handler: gdbm: Can't be writer

It seems like a server side error... :?:

Dusty

#9 2004-10-22 22:53:42

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

it was happening to me earlier.... let me seeee... its taking a while to load...
BAM

maybe I did it when editing a page... who knows... I had a window and took advantage of it... hopefully someone knows about this.... (bug report anyone?)

#10 2004-10-22 23:24:18

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Fixed.

An apache process was stuck and it had writer privs on the database.  Good ol' gdbm only allows one writer at a time, so other processes couldn't open the db.

#11 2004-10-23 01:42:50

yak8998

How do I get to post in the wiki? For some reason it seems very foreign to me  lol

The wireless seems to be a hit or miss, I've set up the same NIC on 2 different comps and had completely different setup procedures.

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#12 2004-10-23 02:19:51

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HowToUseWiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AddingPages

There's some info there.  If you want a username, it has to be a valid wikiword (ie: ConTaiNing CaPs)

Dusty

#13 2004-10-23 04:49:27

BoomN

phrakture wrote:

Alright, I'll start a wiki doc later on (this weekend maybe) about wireless... I'm in the middle of making some universal wireless startup scripts using a "profile" paradigm... i.e. /etc/rc.d/wireless profile home or /etc/rc.d/wireless profile school with a setting in rc.conf: WIRELESS_PROFILES=('home') for bootup.

I'll write out the wiki and put my script there (as well as in my repo)

I'd love to see how you're new wireless scripts work.  Sounds great! smile

#14 2004-10-23 19:20:26

campylobacter
Website

If you have too much time, please write some lines about  the Open X Chance Server.
At the moment in the Wiki was no OpenLDAP. Postfix,... entry.

http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/

At the Openxchange Homepage i could find many dokus form other distris. I don´t know, how much differents there are.

campy

#15 2004-10-24 17:49:49

Mith

question:

in the wiki, when you check the "recent changes". sometimes you see the topic and after that follows something like ..[ cleaned of spam ]
what's that supposed to mean? the text didn't look any different to me though

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

#16 2004-10-24 18:32:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Mith: because wikis are editable by anyone, sometimes some random teenie bopper will fill it with junk....
I've seen it happen a  few times, though never the arch one.... I prolly wasn't paying attention

#17 2004-10-24 20:49:23

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

There's some kind of automated bot that's been spamming the wiki pretty frequently here. Mostly it posts a series of dozens of links; I understand that clicking these will further spam the wiki in some way.

The reason you may not have noticed it is that rasat has been keeping on top of things removing stuff. He's on vacation now; I haven't been able to keep up.  I don't know if the spam bots are still attacking or not.

Dusty

#18 2004-10-25 07:49:01

Mith

Dusty wrote:

I don't know if the spam bots are still attacking or not.
Dusty

LoL  :twisted:
but good to know, so when the bot hits an entry then it should come up on the recent changes page, right? so I could just check those on the recent changes page and make sure they are allright, right?

#19 2004-10-25 11:03:35

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty wrote:

There's some kind of automated bot that's been spamming the wiki pretty frequently here.

I don't know if the spam bots are still attacking or not.

The bot is automated to affect three documents per day. I have not find a solution how to stop the spamming except manually remove with the help of "RecentChanges". Until we find a solution, it would be good if few users are aware of this problem and help removing the links. In Singapore I can do it, but in Mauritius and Kenya I don't get time or not online.

When removing spam, use the option "This is a minor change" to avoid having the spam in old version document. Also add line: "<b>SPAM WARNING!! Don't click, immediately delete all links</b>" if not already included.

Markku

#20 2004-10-25 16:54:15

Mith

rasat wrote:

When removing spam, use the option "This is a minor change" to avoid having the spam in old version document. Also add line: "<b>SPAM WARNING!! Don't click, immediately delete all links</b>" if not already included.

just one question b/c it's me tongue why do I have to add that line with the spam warning? does that prevent the bot from coming back to that document or what? or does it mean something like -> warning, in case you see strange links, don't click but delete them?

#21 2004-10-26 17:59:33

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Mith wrote:

...does it mean something like -> warning, in case you see strange links, don't click but delete them?

That is the purpose. If anyone click a spam url link it causes more problem. Maybe we could edit the line so it doesn't sound strange when there is no spam.... with few hundred url links repeating "www.shop263" its quite ovious what does it mean  wink

Markku

#22 2004-10-26 18:02:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

would is be possible to block the bot?
instead of fixing the damages, why don't we try to prevent it - I am assuming it's a sophisticated bot... but there's some good minds here that could throw something together - start logging IPs and things like that... I can look into it if ya throw me some information.

#23 2004-10-26 18:10:58

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

phrakture wrote:

would is be possible to block the bot?
instead of fixing the damages, why don't we try to prevent it.

If we don't find a way how to block, then we could change the phpWiki to another wiki provider with option for registered users where an annonymous user cannot edit or add new docs.

Markku

#24 2004-10-26 18:12:23

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

phrakture:

its phpwiki. From my investigations, they are thinking of setting up IP blocking, but as yet, I'm not aware that they have done so.  I'd be greatful if you could find some way to block them permanently.

I suppose we could ask Judd to block the IPs directly in Apache?  Do you know which IPs the spams are coming from, rasat?

Dusty

#25 2004-10-26 18:23:58

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty wrote:

Do you know which IPs the spams are coming from, rasat?

There are two or three IPs.... I have to check. The worst spammer is 60.25.120.7

Markku

Board footer