You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-15 23:20:58

sekaino_ai

2.6.30 kernel issues

Hi all,

This is just a report that I've had several issues with the new 2.6.30 kernel that have been most unwelcome.  Two of my systems were affected:

1)  My dual-processor server started hard-locking during any spike in I/O, be it on one of my multiple harddrives or the ethernet card.  I spent several hours trying to fix this, thinking it was a hardware issue.  The ultimate resolution was to boot with "noapic nolapic", which stopped the hardlocks completely.  However, this also disabled the smp in the kernel, so is a suboptimal solution.  This is the first kernel I have ever had this problem with.

2)  My laptop no longer boots after the kernel upgrade.  It decompresses the kernel image and then immediately reboots.  I've seen a mention of similar issues on the forums here.  My suspicion is that the mkinitcpio had some bad configuration and nuked the image.  I'll look into this later.

The hardware and setup of these two systems are quite different and both took a hit with the new kernel.  Has anyone considered downgrading the kernel since many users are reporting problems?

Cheers.

#2 2009-07-16 09:57:16

Cdh

Re: 2.6.30 kernel issues

I had 2) on my eee 1000h too.
It seems that grub can't read the kernel image on a jfs boot partition, when it was written by 2.6.30-1.
It should work when you copy your /boot/vmlinuz to another partition and then copy it back, maybe with another kernel running, don't know about that.
What I did was booting with the Archlinux Install CD with 2.6.28, mount my arch partition + mount -o bind /dev/, /proc/ and /sys/ in the appropriate places, chroot in the mounted system and doing pacman -S kernel26. It then worked.
It's now fixed so this should not happen after you did this once.

See this bug:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15416

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#3 2009-07-16 10:45:04

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

sekaino_ai wrote:

The hardware and setup of these two systems are quite different and both took a hit with the new kernel.  Has anyone considered downgrading the kernel since many users are reporting problems?

Not meaning to be mean or anything, but most users (including those who used the kernel while it was in [testing]) did not have those issues, or they would have been resolved before being released into [core]. With rolling release, it doesn't make sense to downgrade the repo's versions just because SOME users are having problems, since this effects everyone using Arch, including the 'most' who are not having problems.

That having been said, if you were speaking of an individualized downgrading of the kernel (as mentioned in the first response) instead of a general change in the version available in the repos, then my apologies, you are of course free to do that, there's even a nice wiki page on the procedure.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2009-07-16 18:24:12

moonhead

i had to downgrade my kernel.  2.6.30 just broke too many things.  most frustrating was my wireless was rendered useless.  so that made the laptop pretty much worthless.  it booted fine, but x was not efficient, and like i said the wireless was dead. 

i'm a little concerned with trying to upgrade the kernel going forward.  there seem to be quite a few issues with this kernel, but similar setups are not experiencing the same issues.  it's quite bizarre.  i've never experienced this kind of breakage with a kernel update before.  :shrug:

Board footer