You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-17 22:43:00

quadomatic

SD card doesn't unmount properly, corrupts data

My Dell XPS M1330 has a built in SD card slot which I use to write and read data off of SD cards (duh).

When copying smaller amounts of data to the card and unmounting, it prompts me that data is writing and then prompt me that the card is safe to remove. However, when copying over large quantities of data (100MB or up) it gives me errors (something about DBUS, don't quite remember) and does not unmount properly.

This isn't a problem with the card, since I don't have any such problems when copying data in Windows.

Is there any way to fix this?

#2 2009-07-17 23:58:47

parintachin

Re: SD card doesn't unmount properly, corrupts data

try eject /dev/your_sc_card work's better than just unmounting you could also use sync before unmounting your card
hope this helps

#3 2009-07-18 16:10:08

djszapi
Website

"something about DBUS, don't quite remember" it's a good sentence smile But we can help more with exact error messages.

#4 2009-07-18 19:04:44

quadomatic

Sorry...I could probably trigger it myself, but I'd rather not since that'd entail losing data.

If I see it again though, I'll save it.

#5 2009-08-24 18:19:38

rocktale

I think I have the same problem with any USB stick I could try with my PC. It fails if I try to unmount it after copying a lot of data on the stick. Using unmount I get the following error message after a couple of seconds (before that It constantly copied data to the stick):

/sbin/umount.hal: Unmounting /media/disk failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Using sync before unmounting solves this issue. However I think it should also work just using unmount (or the KDE device notifier).

Board footer