You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-18 11:13:47

DrTankMC

[SOLVED] Will Intel vid drvr ever achieve tearless compiz performance?

Hey, I've been using arch for awhile now and i have been pondering this. 

I have a desktop with an nvidia graphics card and compiz runs as smooth as eggs and is 100% tear/choppy free, especially on effects such as wobbly windows and the cube.  With the older nvidia drivers i would have to enable "sync to vblank" in the nvidia control panel, (though for some reason it works with the newest [official arch repo] driver without having to change the settings).

My laptop has an integrated intel video card: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03), and compiz has never once been tearless, on arch or on countless other distros i have used.  This was also true of the intel card that was in my previous older desktop (an older card model).  Everything about compiz works on these cards but wobbly windows and other animations always rip and tear.  Also, ram or cpu speed is not the issue.

Is this normal behaviour or is there some method of removing the tearing?  Or are the intel cards not capable of this at all?

Any comments would be appreciated, most of all i would like to know if this is a driver issue, a setting/config issue, or if its just not possible with intel cards.

I'm using gnome on both machines if that means anything.  Thanks.

Last edited by DrTankMC (2009-08-03 07:05:36)

Long live the Organization for the Organized!!!

Ich möchte die Tomatensuppe!

#2 2009-07-18 16:07:19

djszapi
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Will Intel vid drvr ever achieve tearless compiz performance?

Hello DrTankMC!

If It can't work withgraphical livecd, like Ubuntu/Sushe it's so easy to solve this problem.

#3 2009-07-18 16:33:45

DrTankMC

Hello, thanks for replying, but i cannot make any sense out of your reply.

#4 2009-07-18 17:16:07

makimaki

You should do a search in the forums, there are issues with the current intel driver, as they have now removed exa acceleration and are only using uxa. It is improving, but it will be another few monts before we have good performance again.

Note: There is a marked improvement using the latest rc intel driver and 2.6.31-rc3 kernel.

There are plenty of threads such as
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=75879
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=74910
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69744
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69872
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=71519
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=74754

====* -- Joke
    O
    \|/ --- Me
    / \             Whooooosh

#5 2009-07-18 17:31:26

DrTankMC

Thank you for the reply and the links, but I have already seen most of those posts and they do not address my specific issue.  I am well aware of the driver issues lately (very frustrating) and very confusing to me.  I have no idea how to manipulate/what these terms mean: exa, uxa, kms and other terms.  All i know is that whatever has been default for the last year or two has worked 99% of the time, besides the compiz tearing problem which does not happen with my nvidia, which is why i made this post.

thanks fellow archers

#6 2009-07-23 18:21:57

DrTankMC

Sorry to bump!

#7 2009-07-23 19:03:51

eldragon

to put it in simple words...wait for kernel 2.6.31 and intel 2.8

#8 2009-07-24 13:02:37

kriz

hi
i've got the same graphics chip as u, and compiz works flawlessly for me.
i'm using compiz standalone as wm, got a self compiled kernel 2.6.30.1 with i195 builtin and kms (KernelModeSetting) activated and the latest video-intel-git (2.8) and mesa (7.5)stuff, (btw all comiled with architecture optimizations), i recompiled also xorg-server with dri2 support (--enable-dri2); and my x starts with hotplugging (no xorg.conf needed)

„Je verdinglichter die Welt, je dichter das Netz, das der Natur überworfen wurde, desto mehr beansprucht ideologisch das Denken, das jenes Netz spinnt, seinerseits Natur, Urerfahrung zu sein." Theodor W. Adorno [aus: Wozu noch Philosopie]

#9 2009-07-24 16:21:12

DrTankMC

well thats good news, but it sounds like a lot of work.  I am very terrified to update since last week when the new intel driver 2.7.99.x or something screwed up my whole experience and i had to downgrade.  I see with an -Syu there is a new one available, also a new xserver and intel-dri, but i am still afraid to ruin my computer.

#10 2009-08-03 07:04:04

DrTankMC

Hi, I'd just like to update my progress for others who may have the same issues.  2 days ago or so i did a full -Syu and received the new driver, intel-dri, kernel, and xorg, and....IT WORKS!!!!! No more compiz tears ANYWHERE EVEN THE CUBE for the first time in my 3 year linux-intel career!!!  Even my other pc with Nvidia card can't handle a tearless cube for somereason.  Also the odd problem of non-fullscreen videos (all players and outputs) being choppy has disappeared aswell, and this is all with OOTB settings driver and xorg-wise.  My CCSM obviously has settings changed.  Performance is great, i hope there are no future regressions.

*Very Happy Archer Right Now*

#11 2009-08-03 08:24:07

combuster
Website

In a month or so it's gonna get even better, trust me ;-)

Board footer