You are not logged in.

#826 2011-02-15 07:48:17

ProgDan
Website

Re: kde-snapshot repo

Well, that was the plan. But I was just thinking yesterday about doing some custom snapshot build, because it's already more then month since last one and I'm getting little bit nervous tongue Maybe I'll come with something next week smile

EDIT: I was informed that developers are currently too busy by the git transition and therefor there are no snapshots. Hope they'll sort out all problems soon.

Last edited by ProgDan (2011-02-16 22:38:59)

#827 2011-02-18 06:33:38

hellnest
Website

Any updates regarding next snapshot? Or it already changed to GIT based snapshot?

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#828 2011-02-19 15:52:10

ahel

hi! i'm new at kde-snapshot repo.
maybe it's my previous configuration that had errors, but now, after upgrading, "startkde" given by "/etc/rc.d/kdm" says that

$display is not set or cannot conntect to Server X

now i've solved usinig .xinitrc: after boot i've to login in shell and then "startx" where i've set kde.
and thats fine in case i loose my pc, but although it's a little trickier...
i think it's a problem of kdm, but i dunno

religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around and please don't try to shove it down my childrens' throats.

#829 2011-02-20 14:43:06

ProgDan
Website

hellnest: none yet, the snapshots do not depend on SCM, just on the version bump in kdelibs/CMakeLists.txt. KDE Guys are probably still too busy migrating rest of KDE to git, that they have no time to do the bump smile

ahel: weird...check if you have "kdm" user, eventually create it. That should do the work

#830 2011-02-22 00:09:49

gun26

I'm still building from git/svn regularly here, although my success rate is spotty. The latest part of KDE to go git is kdegraphics - each component gets its own git repo now. gwenview and kamera still build, but the rest do not and it's beyond my skill level to figure out the cmake errors. kdeedu is still on svn but it doesn't build any more, again stopping at the cmake stage with errors. But the basic desktop runs remarkably well, considering we're in the midst of the major part of the git migration and at the very early stages of KDE 4.7.

#831 2011-02-22 08:41:53

ProgDan
Website

Thanks for report smile I'll wait for next official snapshot. I'd like to keep most things in working state and I actually don't have much time to mess around build errors now sad

#832 2011-02-22 15:46:31

ahel

hi, thank you for your tips, i'll check later!

do you think my kalarm problem is related to your repo?
http://i56.tinypic.com/2z6yzah.png
http://i54.tinypic.com/sybfvk.png
http://i55.tinypic.com/vdjtrd.png
i really can't see any way to resolve...
i've searched the web since 2 days ago, but nothing...
thank you for your time.
edit: changed img tag to url tag; sorry but i thought that would explain better!

Last edited by ahel (2011-02-23 13:41:02)

It's fine to have one.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around and please don't try to shove it down my childrens' throats.

#833 2011-02-22 22:35:16

ProgDan
Website

Really, describing the problem by words rather then huge images would be really better. Anyway, if you mean, that "New" action in "File" menu is disabled even with "Enable alarms" checked, may you need to add a calendar to put the alarms into (using the "Add.." button in main window), and then add alarms to it. I don't use KAlarm so I'm not sure if it's the way.
Or maybe you need to add an Akonadi resource? I'm not sure if it exists. I'm not on my KDE, so I can't test it.

#834 2011-02-23 13:52:30

ahel

even if i try your way after enabling for a while it says:

Failed to update calendar “standard”.
(Unknown error. (No such collection))

maybe it's better i report to bugs.kde.org

It's fine to have one.

#835 2011-03-04 22:33:13

ChALkeR

Sad... 2 months, no snapshot...

#836 2011-03-05 14:26:52

ProgDan
Website

It is, isn't it? The very same thought crossed my mind this morning (after realizing that Akonadi won't run against latest libboost). I just checked out latest git and svn revisions and made my own snapshot (just don't tell the KDE guys wink) As soon as I will put together all the parts from Git an SVN and fix the two-month-old build scripts I'll start compiling and you'll have your bleeding edge KDE today or tomorrow.

EDIT: does anyone know, where they put kwrite? It's not in SVN nor in git hmm

Last edited by ProgDan (2011-03-05 14:29:57)

#837 2011-03-06 01:14:00

flamelab

ProgDan wrote:

It is, isn't it? The very same thought crossed my mind this morning (after realizing that Akonadi won't run against latest libboost). I just checked out latest git and svn revisions and made my own snapshot (just don't tell the KDE guys wink) As soon as I will put together all the parts from Git an SVN and fix the two-month-old build scripts I'll start compiling and you'll have your bleeding edge KDE today or tomorrow.

EDIT: does anyone know, where they put kwrite? It's not in SVN nor in git hmm

Maybe in kate's git tree ? http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kate.git

(http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kate.git&a=t … 1&f=kwrite)

I'm really looking forward to seeing a new snapshot !

I personally wanna see what's going on with OpenGL ES and Kwin. I don't know if it needs to be set in cmake (thus, kdebase-workspace to be built with a opengl es option for example) or if we can choose it in System Settings.

Last edited by flamelab (2011-03-06 01:42:21)

#838 2011-03-06 01:29:51

ChALkeR

ProgDan wrote:

and you'll have your bleeding edge KDE today or tomorrow.

Cool! Thanks. smile

#839 2011-03-06 22:40:04

ProgDan
Website

YES!  Finally, KDE 4.6.42 is here, after a great battle. Compilations were throwing one error after another, spilling warnings all over the place, but I bounced most of them off and after hours of struggling and fighting I finally tamed the beast and made it obey and compile. Now the beast is tied in chains in the repository cave, waiting for you, brave knights, to tempt your destiny and face it. Drew your pacmans, brave warriors, and show your courage!

Here are some hints, found on the ancient scrolls that might help you to survive and defeat the beast, like I did:
* kdesdk-kate is now kdebase-kate
* kdebase-kwrite is now kdebase-kate
* kwin is compiled with OpenGL ES support
* kdebindings - yes, can you believe it?! KDEBINDINGS were update too!! - actually just kdebindings-python since I was was badly wounded while fighting this one and rather run away to another quest
* lots of updates, I personally think it's faster and smoother
* Akonadi seems to work very well, although I had to remove ~/.config/akonadi and ~/.local/share/akonadi to make it start
* Phonon now features 3 backends located in kdesupport-phonon-xine, kdesupport-phonon-vlc and kdesupport-phonon-gstreamer packages. Actually, I'm not able to get a single note from any of the backends, but that's just a minor glitch...who needs sound at all, huh? damnit, it was just muted tongue
* and kdepim-kjots is back to kdepim2

And now seriously - I was not able to make OpenGL ES run, I can't even turn desktop effects on. I tried open the OpenGL configuration from konsole by

$ kcmshell4 opengl
kcmshell4: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/egl/egl_dri2.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_get_proc_address

Which seems to be a problem somewhere deeeeeeep below KDE. I found somewhere on google an advice with LD_PRELOAD:

$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGLESv2.so kcmshell4 opengl
libEGL fatal: DRI2: failed to authenticate

So no success either. Maybe you guys will have more luck.

Edit: I am able to run the kcmshell dialog now after compiling mesa-git with some tweaks, but it seems it does not work with proprietary nvidia drivers and nouveau does not work for me (altough my card is supported and used to work in past with nouveau), failing on

nouveau: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -16

while loading the kernel module. I know this is offtopic for this thread and I should be the first one to complain, but you know - I want to see if the OpenGL ES acceleration works. So any ideas about this error? Google was not very helpful.

Running on nouveau now, but still can't enable desktop effects saying "Desktop affects are not available on this system due to the following technical issues:" - but no issues are listed hmm

Enjoy!

PS: the old, ugly 32-bit dragon is still hiding somewhere in cave, but I'm already on my way to slay it with my Thunder Hammer The floor of the cave is now covered in blood of the beast. My quest is over.

Last edited by ProgDan (2011-03-09 07:40:05)

#840 2011-03-07 00:59:11

ChALkeR

Great!

Some minor bugs:
1) kdenetwork-kget requires kwebkitpart-svn, but it was renamed to kwebkitpart-git.
2) I couldn't find wallpapers in any package (http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kde-wallpapers/).

#841 2011-03-07 01:06:43

ChALkeR

OpenGL ES works for me. Here is the screenshot:
99.png

This picture is there not for very long, i will probably delete it someday (maybe even in several months), sorry.

#842 2011-03-07 01:27:07

ProgDan
Website

Thanks for feedback ChALkeR. The KGet deps are now fixed and the additional wallpapers are now included in kdeartwork-wallpapers.

The R600G is an ATI Radeon graphic card, am I right? So at least somewhere it works smile) I just compiled latest nouveau module from kernel git, I hope it will work.

#843 2011-03-07 04:17:54

flamelab

@Progdan: Great job there !!!!

But, I can't find some packages...:

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
:: Retrieving packages from kde-snapshots...
error: failed retrieving file 'kdebindings-python-4.6.41git20110305-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from arch.morrigan.ch : Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'kdepim-libkdepim-4.6.41svn1212135-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from arch.morrigan.ch : Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'kdepim-runtime-4.6.41svn1212135-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from arch.morrigan.ch : Not Found

:S

---

kdebase-konqueror conflicts with konq-plugins' files (so add a conflicts=('konq-plugins')
kdeplasma-addons-libs conflicts with kdeplasma-addons-containments

smile

---

Damn, the Nvidia driver doesn't support OpenGL ES ? sad:(:(

I was pretty sure that the closed driver *did* have support for OpenGL ES 2.x ...

Last edited by flamelab (2011-03-07 05:28:34)

#844 2011-03-07 08:04:13

ChALkeR

Ok, i am using AMD 890GX chipset integrated videocard (motherboard).

ProgDan wrote:

And now seriously - I was not able to make OpenGL ES run, I can't even turn desktop effects on. I tried open the OpenGL configuration from konsole by

$ kcmshell4 opengl
kcmshell4: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/egl/egl_dri2.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_get_proc_address

I can't run that command too, it gives out the same error.

ProgDan wrote:

Running on nouveau now, but still can't enable desktop effects saying "Desktop affects are not available on this system due to the following technical issues:" - but no issues are listed

Strange story with Systemsettings->Desktop effects. First few times it crashed too (same error as $ kcmshell4 opengl). Then it suddenly stopped crashing (done nothing, and $ kcmshell4 opengl crashes), but displays no effects in the list and the same message as for you.

Still, kwin works with effects.

Can you show your „$ kwin --replace“ output?
If it says something like „OpenGL is unsafe“, open ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc, and replace the line „OpenGLIsUnsafe=true“ with  „OpenGLIsUnsafe=false“. It is in the „[Compositing]“ block (first from the top for me). Then run „$ kwin --replace“ again. Deleting the ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc file completely also helps, but you will loose all your kwin settings, of course.

#845 2011-03-07 08:15:49

ProgDan
Website

@flamelab: duh, reuploaded packages. The conflicts are with stable KDE packages, aren't they? I'll fix these later today...the kde-snapshots packages should be in no conflict, so you can just remove the problematic stable packages. The binary nvidia drivers does not work (kcmshell4 opengl detects it as VMWare virtual graphic adapter for me smile ) , but nouveau works beautifuly...!!!

@ChALkeR: hoooray! Thanks for your tip, it works! I remember the Desktop Effects window crashed for me the first time I opened it, so it probably disabled the OpenGLI and when I fixed my drivers it probably didn't bother checking it again.

I solved the problem with the kcmshell4 opengl command by compiling mesa-git from AUR with --enable-shared-glapi option (not available in stable drivers). There is some problem with the missing symbol being defined in some library during compile-time and in another during run-time or something like that...

#846 2011-03-07 21:00:54

flamelab

@Progdan: GREAT job. I built the nouveau packages (with mesa-git of course) and... it is... surprisingly... fast (and responsive) O_o

Nouveau was always so slow here (Nvidia GTS250) and it's the first time I can say it is ... OK !

#847 2011-03-08 13:20:56

desaparecido

hi guys.. thx for this job progdan.. I have i686 version and GPU nvidia gforce 6100 (NV40) with nouveau drivers but without luck with effects, i tried with all tips given by yours (building mesa-git with --enable-shared-glapi, editing kwinrc, rm kwinrc, etc), even with kernel26-mainline (to test latest kernel module :s ) .  I have these messages:

[luis@xxx ~]$ kcmshell4 opengl

.... and ....

[luis@xxx ~]$ kwin --replace
libEGL warning: DRI2: could not open  (No such file or directory)

I don't know what another thing I can try it. 

Another questions, do you have nepomuk working? I have all the time the error message.  My email's accounts (imap from gmail) works fine) so is good. 

my systemsettings windows crash frequently sad and when i close my kopete session all the time a crash message.. It's the same for you?

and ProgDan... I love it your presentation of this snapshot.. smile I'm feel like a warrior with that tongue

KF5 & Plasma5 (git versions) - Awesome WM
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - AMD FX8350 - ATI Radeon HD 7970
[testing] repo

#848 2011-03-08 13:55:59

ProgDan
Website

@desaparecido: hmm, I have the mesa-git with --enabled-shared-glapi installed and it does not provide /usr/lib/egl/egl_dri2.so. Are you sure, you are using the -git? Also, it is not enough to just replace the stable mesa with mesa-git, you need to restart Xorg server too. The second error will be probably similar issue.

Another questions, do you have nepomuk working? I have all the time the error message.  My email's accounts (imap from gmail) works fine) so is good.

Nepomuk works about 40 seconds, then virtuoso-db starts consuming all my four cores and believe me, it's not funny when you are running on battery...so big NO here. Akonadi works like charm, I'm really happy I could return to using KDE PIM smile

my systemsettings windows crash frequently sad and when i close my kopete session all the time a crash message.. It's the same for you?

SystemSettings and Kopete are not crashing for me, could you please provide battle logs backtraces? My computer was actually pretty overheating while compiling i686...when I'm thinking about it again now, it's possible, that there are faults in the binaries sad

and ProgDan... I love it your presentation of this snapshot.. smile I'm feel like a warrior with that tongue

May the Force runes be with you, brave warrior!

#849 2011-03-09 02:35:30

ChALkeR

[chalker@pc ~]$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/egl/egl_dri2.so
/usr/lib/egl/egl_dri2.so is owned by libegl 7.10.1-1

#850 2011-03-09 06:10:12

Zom

Yeah, seconding the love for the flavour. Probably the best flavour a linux repo had since forever. smile

Board footer