You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-18 16:24:36

zakora

[SOLVED] Massive upgrade broke my system (invalid ELF header)

Hi,

Today I decided to upgrade my system (last time i upgraded was 1 or 2 months ago), but now I can't login.
I use gdm and I tried to login in both KDE and Gnome, with the same error:

/usr/bin/ssh-agent: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libkafs.so.0: invalid ELF header

When I was upgrading my system I noticed the following error for the packages 'pango', 'gconf', 'zsh', 'ktorrent':

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libotp.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasf.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMrm.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libUil.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libUil.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libQtDesignerComponents.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start

This error message is also coming when i use pacman.

Note that I have an another bug (maybe related to this one), I installed 'xsane' and 'libjpeg' (required by xsane), then I ran into lot of troubles: lot of applications didn't start (amarok, pgadmin, xsane...) so I had to ""fix"" this by symlinking libjpeg,62.

I hope we can solve this mess.
Tell me if you need more information smile

Vincent

Last edited by zakora (2009-07-20 19:24:41)

#2 2009-07-18 19:27:39

djszapi
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Massive upgrade broke my system (invalid ELF header)

pacman -Syu

The developers/TUs, together, corrected most of such an libjpeg, libreadline issues.

You mentioned there are errors by pacman, what're those exactly ?

#3 2009-07-19 07:54:37

zakora

I tryed pacman -Syu (from an updated mirror), nothing have changed. Maybe the "patches" are not available yet?
The errors by pacman are the same i got when upgraded :

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libotp.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasf.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libMrm.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libQtDesignerComponents.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start

Thanks

#4 2009-07-19 12:06:11

azleifel

Every one of those problem files is actually a symlink.  What do you get if, for example, you run

ls -l /usr/lib/libkafs.so.0

?  Something like

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 2009-06-19 22:25 /usr/lib/libkafs.so.0 -> libkafs.so.0.5.1

or something different?  If it's different then perhaps reinstalling the packages that own the symlinks (heimdal, lame, lesstif, qt) will resolve the problem.  It might be a good idea to delete that libjpeg symlink too ;-)

#5 2009-07-19 14:09:41

t4k1t

Hi

I have a similar problem but an other cause:
I just installed arch x64 from the core-cd and wanted to upgrade the system, but I suppose I chose the wrong mirror: hosteurope...blabla...i686 and now most programs won't work, not even vi or pacman.
While making the pacman -Syu there were some errors like invalid ELF header.

So did I choose the wrong mirror or is it something else? And most importantly, how can I fix this?
Hope you can help, thanks.

Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become.

#6 2009-07-19 14:12:20

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Don't hijack topics please, open one yourself. As for your problem: if you install the 64 bit version and pick a 32 bit mirror, what do you think happens?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#7 2009-07-19 15:35:26

zakora

Here's the result:

ls -l /usr/lib/libkafs.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 juin  19 23:56 /usr/lib/libkafs.so.0 -> libkafs.so.0.5.1

I deleted the symlink for libjpeg.

Last edited by zakora (2009-07-19 15:36:05)

#8 2009-07-19 16:00:53

zakora

I did a

yaourt -Rd lesstif heimdal qt lame

and then a

yaourt -Sf lesstif heimdal qt lame

and now everything works smile !

Thanks for your help, Arch has a great community.

#9 2009-07-19 18:35:27

zakora

Well, there still a problem, with readline.
When I'm unable to use pacman nor to start postgres, i've got this error:

/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I alreadey tried to re-install readline, but it did solve the problem.
Any suggestion?

Edit:

ls -l /usr/lib | grep readline
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   9,1K juil. 19 20:27 libguilereadline-v-17.a
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     31 juil. 19 01:09 libguilereadline-v-17.so -> libguilereadline-v-17.so.17.0.3
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     31 juil. 19 01:09 libguilereadline-v-17.so.17 -> libguilereadline-v-17.so.17.0.3
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    16K juil. 19 20:27 libguilereadline-v-17.so.17.0.3
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   291K juil. 19 20:27 libreadline.a

Edit 2:
In fact readline is not installed, how can i install it without pacman??

Last edited by zakora (2009-07-19 19:30:02)

#10 2009-07-19 20:46:52

azleifel

The readline libraries are installed in /lib, not /usr/lib.  I've never tried this but if the command line is still usable then it ought to be possible to download the readline tar.gz package, cd to /, extract the package as root to install the libraries etc., run ldconfig as root, and then use pacman to force install readline properly.  Good luck!

#11 2009-07-20 19:24:17

zakora

The problem is solved.
What I did:
- Chrooted into my system from a livecd (mounting + chroot /mnt /bin/dash)
- Checked pacman -Qi readline and saw that readline was not installed (*sighs* ...)
- Removed manually a file of libreadline (sthing like 'libreadline.a'), I don't know why it was the only one file of readline on the system.
- "Unchroot" (exit)
- Installed readline with pacman -r /mnt -U /mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg/readline*.pkg.tar.gz (Maybe this step could have been done within the chroot environment
- Rebooted

Thanks all smile

Board footer