You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-19 10:46:41

gapo
Website

Installation from old packages

I had to reinstall Arch in the sense that I completely deleted the partition and then installed it in a new one using the CD/DVD method.

I took a backup of /usr/var/share/cache/pacman/pkg and pkglist .
Now in my new system instead of downloading all the packages bandwidth very slow

Is there any method I can use to install the packages from the previously copied cache.

My current arch is just a barebones install with the wifi alone installed and configrued. It is up and running.

I did go throught the forums and found some commands but none of them did work. The main point is that this a altogether a new install .

Last edited by gapo (2009-07-19 12:24:44)

How I'm learning linux : If it ain't broken, fix it until it is. Then start over again.
....................................................................................................
Gapo the flow

#2 2009-07-19 11:17:00

u_no_hu

Re: Installation from old packages

just copy those all packages into your new install cache dir and then -Syu

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#3 2009-07-19 11:33:16

arch0r

you could try installing the packages from the backupped cache. if it doesn't work, just create a local repo of it:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … repository

#4 2009-07-19 12:27:03

gapo
Website

Thank you ...

@u_no_hu
I did try pacman -Syu but it did not work as pacman does not know what package to install

@arch0r
yeah ! I came across it ,but I wonder whether it will work and is suitable for my case .

How I'm learning linux : If it ain't broken, fix it until it is. Then start over again.
....................................................................................................
Gapo the flow

#5 2009-07-19 13:57:16

Garns

gapo wrote:

Thank you ...

@u_no_hu
I did try pacman -Syu but it did not work as pacman does not know what package to install

In case of a new install you will have to use pacman -S again to install your packages. However if you place your backups in the cache they will be taken from their and won't be downloaded.

#6 2009-07-20 14:25:36

gapo
Website

nopes that doesn't seem to work . Pacman still goes for the network mirror

Gapo the flow

#7 2009-07-20 15:22:45

arch0r

put a # in front of every remote repo (core, testing, community, extra, etc) that your local repo is the only entry in pacman.conf
pacman -Sy packages

or install them directly from cache: pacman -U /packages/backup/bla.tar.gz

Last edited by arch0r (2009-07-20 15:23:56)

Board footer