You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-19 17:11:58

poopship21

gcc, libtool and make no longer needed? [SOLVED]

after uninstalling oss (i am using alsa), pacman told me that the above packages were dependencies no longer needed.  i know that gcc is a dependency for abs (which is still installed) so i am worried that the above 3 packages are somehow no longer current (even though pacman -Syu shows no updates to these packages).  what am i missing here? thanks

Last edited by poopship21 (2009-08-02 17:24:58)

#2 2009-07-19 17:14:10

bluewind
Administrator
Website

Re: gcc, libtool and make no longer needed? [SOLVED]

Actually nothing should depend on them as they are in the base-devel group. No need to remove them though.

Last edited by bluewind (2009-07-19 17:19:55)

#3 2009-07-19 17:17:21

poopship21

i see.  so why does yaourt (pacman) claim that they were installed as dependencies to oss?

#4 2009-07-19 17:19:49

bluewind
Administrator
Website

OSS rebuilds the modules when updating the kernel so everything's fine. When using ABS you're expected to have base-devel installed as including gcc, make and so on in the (make)deps would result in somewhat bloated PKGBUILDs.

#5 2009-07-19 19:42:33

poopship21

ok i understand now.  sorry to go off topic but i want to relate a confusing experience that you might be able to qualify.  after installing alsa-tools, alsa-utils, checking the modules loaded in ...modules.d/modprobe.conf, and uninstalling oss, i ran aplay -l and got something like 'no sound card' even though lspci gave me the correct ICH9 HDA hardware and double-checking lsmod showed me the snd-hda-intel modules that are documented.  i performed a restart and still got nothing.  after reinstalling kernel26 and rebooting, alsa worked.  this step is not documented in the wiki article.  not sure why

#6 2009-07-19 19:58:22

bluewind
Administrator
Website

OSS has to remove the alsa modules in order to be able to use the soundcard. Otherwise alsa blocks it before OSS gets loaded. You could have run /usr/lib/oss/scripts/setup_alsa.sh to undo that.
But why don't you use OSS anymore?

#7 2009-07-19 20:20:05

poopship21

i stopped using oss because the lastfm client only supports alsa.  i dont understand the purpose of the "OSS installation script" if !alsa is specified in rc.conf MODULES().  obviously this is something that is addressed in the "OSS install script".  incidentally i re-installed oss with pacman just to have a look at the .../setup_alsa.sh script that you mentioned and i didnt find it in the .../scripts directory.  does the oss daemon need to be started in order for .../scripts to be populated?

#8 2009-07-19 20:24:55

bluewind
Administrator
Website

poopship21 wrote:

i stopped using oss because the lastfm client only supports alsa.

You can tell alsa to output to OSS
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OSS#ALSA_emulation

poopship21 wrote:

i dont understand the purpose of the "OSS installation script" if !alsa is specified in rc.conf MODULES().

There is no alsa module. You have to blacklist soundcore. Edit: The emodules are there again once you update your kernel. And sadly they would automatically load and block the sound device then.

poopship21 wrote:

obviously this is something that is addressed in the "OSS install script".  incidentally i re-installed oss with pacman just to have a look at the .../setup_alsa.sh script that you mentioned and i didnt find it in the .../scripts directory.  does the oss daemon need to be started in order for .../scripts to be populated?

It's called setup-alsa.sh sorry.

Last edited by bluewind (2009-07-19 20:31:53)

#9 2009-07-19 21:20:08

poopship21

great!

The emodules are there again once you update your kernel. And sadly they would automatically load and block the sound device then.

additionally, setup-alsa.sh shockingly assumes that your current kernel version is the same as it was before you installed oss:

#if ! test -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/sound-preoss.tar.bz2
#then
#  echo ALSA backup archive /lib/modules/`uname -r`/sound-preoss.tar.bz2 not found. Cannot continue.
#  exit 1
#fi

not only that, it seems that the oss installation script which i ran today bumped into the archive that got created a month ago:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1238600 2009-06-20 15:43 sound-preoss.tar.bz2

...when i first installed oss and failed to create a new one based on the current status of alsa.  although not necessarliy related to that, it appears that the existing archive (and the only one i have now) is incomplete:

tar: Record size = 8 blocks
kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko
kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko
kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko
tar: kernel/sound/acore/snd.ko: Not found in archive
tar: kernel/sound/acore/snd-pcm.ko: Not found in archive
tar: kernel/sound/acore/snd-timer.ko: Not found in archive
tar: kernel/sound/acore/snd-page-alloc.ko: Not found in archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

it seems that most sound architecture developers have less desire to shift back and forth between sound architectures than i do

#10 2009-08-02 17:24:45

poopship21

in any case my current installation of alsa is working fine.  i decided not to mess around anymore with oss-based rollback and instead just removed cleanly both oss and alsa and installed alsa again.

Board footer