You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-19 20:30:39

Serendipity

Failed to retrieve 'community.db.tar.gz'

Hello Arch Linuxers,

I'm quite new to Linux.  I've tried Ubuntu and Linux Mint quite some time ago - and even though I did enjoy Mint at moments there wasn't much excitement in it.  Installation was just clicking until you where finished.  Therefore I decided it was time to learn a bit more about this wonderful Operating System.

I decided to give Arch Linux a whirl, and have already passed installing the core.  Now, I'd like to install GNOME (being the GUI I'm familiar with).  This is where I ran in to my problem.  When trying to update Pacman (as the Wiki said I should) I suddenly received a huge amount of spam, all saying:
"failed retrieving file 'community.db.tar.gz' from mirror xxx : Network is unreachable.

As displayed here:
34524cl.png

It's logical to assume that the installation doesn't want to work with my internet.  Although, I'm connected to a network - so my guess is/was that it should'v detected this automatically.  Then again: I'm stupid - it probably doesn't because it's not a shiny GUI that does everything for me.

When I try "hwdetect --show-net" from : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network - I get "bash: hwdetect: command not found".

I'm basically stuck there.  Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Friendly Regards,
John.

Ps: my apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

Short version:
My network doesn't seem to get detected.  (This is what I believe to be so).  Pl0x h4lp m3h?

Last edited by Serendipity (2009-07-19 20:35:15)

#2 2009-07-19 20:36:59

loafer

Re: Failed to retrieve 'community.db.tar.gz'

Can you ping e.g. www.google.com

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2009-07-20 08:29:23

Serendipity

Re: Failed to retrieve 'community.db.tar.gz'

loafer wrote:

Can you ping e.g. www.google.com

It's rather silly I didn't get the idea to test any connection by pinging.  However - when trying I get the following message: ping: unknown host www.google.com - I've also tried google.com . (without the www) So, it seems I have no connection to my network (and the internet).

Thank you for the effort, and the idea.

EDIT:  After a lot of messing about, I finally got it to work.  It seems editing my /etc/rc.conf and setting eth0="dhcp" did the trick!

Last edited by Serendipity (2009-07-20 14:30:28)

Board footer