You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-21 15:01:58

milasch

Backing up 33GB of personal photos/videos in DVDs

Is there a tool that will manage to arrange the files for maximum dvd space usage? Also, I do not want to use any backup tool that will compress the files or something that will make me need all the dvds together, because I'm afraid if 1 dvd is corrupted the day I'm restoring the backup, the whole thing will be broken.

Thanks

#2 2009-07-21 15:13:15

brisbin33
Website

Re: Backing up 33GB of personal photos/videos in DVDs

i wrote a little script for just this.  it's not very intelligent but it got the job done for me.

it'll let you split one folder into as many required subfolders each below size S (given in KB) or split the contained files psuedo-evenly into N subfolders.

dsplit ./ -s 4600000000

would make the required subdirs (dir_1 through dir_N) all below the required size to fit on a standard DVD5.

you could then burn these (or script some burnage).  i also have another script just for burning directories as data dvd's.

dsplit
burn

note in line 61 of the dsplit script you can make a simple change to have it just echo what it /would/ do vs actually doing it big_smile

as always, not extremely tested but it worked for me.

/edit: i just realized what you really wanted.  my tool simply iterates through the folder and just adds files to subdirs until the size limit is met, then moves on.  it doesn't exactly /maximize/ dvd space usage... so, sorry this might not be very applicable here. hmm

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-07-21 15:22:28)

#3 2009-07-21 16:54:52

milasch

brisbin33 wrote:

i wrote a little script for just this.  it's not very intelligent but it got the job done for me.

it'll let you split one folder into as many required subfolders each below size S (given in KB) or split the contained files psuedo-evenly into N subfolders.

dsplit ./ -s 4600000000

would make the required subdirs (dir_1 through dir_N) all below the required size to fit on a standard DVD5.

you could then burn these (or script some burnage).  i also have another script just for burning directories as data dvd's.

dsplit
burn

note in line 61 of the dsplit script you can make a simple change to have it just echo what it /would/ do vs actually doing it big_smile

as always, not extremely tested but it worked for me.

/edit: i just realized what you really wanted.  my tool simply iterates through the folder and just adds files to subdirs until the size limit is met, then moves on.  it doesn't exactly /maximize/ dvd space usage... so, sorry this might not be very applicable here. hmm

Thanks...

I think I'll just write a script myself and write the output to a k3b project file.

Thanks again for your answer

#4 2009-07-21 17:38:55

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I wouldn't recommend dumping that stuff on DVDs. A HD has a better chance of data survival than burnt media. Just so you know wink.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2009-07-21 20:14:10

quarkup
Website

Are you willing to compress those files ?

quarkup ~

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#6 2009-07-22 00:11:10

iBertus

+1 for using a HDD. 33GB of files would fit on any USB HDD you can buy today and that drive would be around for subsequent backups too.

#7 2009-07-22 01:32:29

denisfalqueto

I would like to suggest you dvdisaster (http://dvdisaster.net/en/). It gives a little redundancy for the data that is saved to the disks so you can recover if the surface is not very damaged. About the external hdd, I tend to think about it just as an extension of the space I already have, so it gets filled with unique stuff very fast big_smile

Satisfied users don't rant, so you'll never know how many of us there are.

Board footer