You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-23 00:44:28

celtic426
Website

Able to edit ext4 under GParted?

I just installed a new arch system with the ext4 filesystem.  However, when I boot up the GParted livecd, GParted says that the partition is ext3. 

So my question is, if I want to increase the size of my Arch partition, can I, even tho GParted says its ext3 but its really ext4?  Will I cause damage to it?

Also, on an unrelated note, anyone know why the name "Shiretoko" replaced "Firefox" on linux but not windows? 

I know Shiretoko is the codename for FF 3.5, but I have 3.5 on my Windows machine and it is not called Shiretoko (what I mean by "called Shiretoko" is that the main title bar says "Shiretoko", not "Firefox").

gods are fragile things.  They may be dismissed with a dose of common sense or a whiff of science.

#2 2009-07-23 02:32:43

celtic426
Website

Re: Able to edit ext4 under GParted?

Simplified:

Can I edit my arch partition even tho gparted misidentifies the partition as ext3? (in reality, the partition is ext4)

gods are fragile things.  They may be dismissed with a dose of common sense or a whiff of science.

#3 2009-07-23 03:41:46

djszapi
Website

I can't believe that it's arch related problem? Did you try install this gparted manually ? What does parted program say, the same ?

Did you try with another distro, or maybe with livecd? Is it okay ?

#4 2009-07-23 03:49:28

celtic426
Website

djszapi wrote:

I can't believe that it's arch related problem? Did you try install this gparted manually ? What does parted program say, the same ?

Did you try with another distro, or maybe with livecd? Is it okay ?

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain it well enough but thanks for your response. 

I was talking about the GParted livecd, which you boot up and it runs GParted from the CDRom so that you can edit the unmounted partitions.  So when I run the GParted program, it misidentifies my Arch partition as ext3.

It's actually not a big deal because I figured out another way around it, but if anyone knows, I would still be curious.  Thanks.

Board footer