You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-25 18:22:39

LB06

Watch streaming video in konqueror

Is it possible to play streaming video (for example the trailers from apple.com) within konqueror? I tried installing mplayer-plugin and kaffeine, but neither of them were able to do the trick? Has anyone been able to get this working? Thanks in advance smile

#2 2004-10-25 21:09:06

dp
Website

Re: Watch streaming video in konqueror

LB06 wrote:

Is it possible to play streaming video (for example the trailers from apple.com) within konqueror? I tried installing mplayer-plugin and kaffeine, but neither of them were able to do the trick? Has anyone been able to get this working? Thanks in advance smile

kmplayer works fine for me (at least to watch the news streamed in realmedia) ... on apple.com i cannot find anything like trailers you mentioned to check, but kmplayer _should_ stream anything mplayer can handle

good luck

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-10-26 07:39:58

LB06

http://www.apple.com/trailers

I didn't try real, because I never watch them anyway, but they do work. Quicktime and wmv stll don't. When I try to watch a wmv I get an embedded kmplayer windows, but the status bar says 'stopped playing' and I can't convince it to say sth else. smile

Basically same story with quicktime movies

#4 2004-10-26 08:16:35

Greycloack

when I used KDE I had the same problem.
Basiclly I use the mplayer-plugin, it can show the trailers on apple's site and almost anything I else I encountered except maybe a bug here and there.
The problem is, and I recall having this conversation with dp once:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … highlight=

Konqueror for some reason can't use the mplayer-plugin even though it should be compatible. It seems there are still some problems. Both Kaffeine and Kmplayer don't do the job I'm afraid.

The only advice I can give you is, use firefox/mozilla and use the mplayer-plugin.

Sorry.

#5 2004-10-26 08:16:45

Greycloack

when I used KDE I had the same problem.
Basiclly I use the mplayer-plugin, it can show the trailers on apple's site and almost anything I else I encountered except maybe a bug here and there.
The problem is, and I recall having this conversation with dp once:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … highlight=

Konqueror for some reason can't use the mplayer-plugin even though it should be compatible. It seems there are still some problems. Both Kaffeine and Kmplayer don't do the job I'm afraid.

The only advice I can give you is, use firefox/mozilla and use the mplayer-plugin.

Sorry.

#6 2004-10-26 20:41:48

dp
Website

LB06 wrote:

http://www.apple.com/trailers

I didn't try real, because I never watch them anyway, but they do work. Quicktime and wmv stll don't. When I try to watch a wmv I get an embedded kmplayer windows, but the status bar says 'stopped playing' and I can't convince it to say sth else. smile

Basically same story with quicktime movies

i tried this trailers and they work (thanx, now my computer is a movie station ... it is laggy because of my bad connection, but very cool)

make sure, you are using the mplayer-part of the kmplayer ... the thing is: per default, it tries to play movies with xine-engine and fails!!! you need to switch this in the settings of kmplayer to use default mplayer as engine, then it works fine

by the way: are there some whole movies on the internet? (of course open like free like gratis and non-paying nothing ;-)  ... i had a look at creative commons, but there are only some short or/and old american movies there ... mostly propaganda and politics stuff ... i'm searching for something like shoutcast for video (shoutcast is for radio stations from the internet))

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#7 2004-11-01 16:07:42

Michel

The latest xine-engine should play most/all quicktime trailers. You need the windows-codecs, but I suppose you have them ....

Board footer