You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-23 05:54:45

celtic426
Website

[SOLVED] Panels don't startup with Gnome

When I login to gnome, no panels appear (it has worked in the past). 

All I have are the few default desktop icons and the ability to right click on the desktop which leads me to believe that I unchecked "gnome-panel" from the autostart option earlier. 

I would go back into the autostart option but I don't know how to access it now that I don't have a panel.  So does anyone know how I may access this or manually edit a file or something?

I found this, but it wasn't very helpful: http://www.captain.at/howto-autostart-p … -gnome.php

Any help very appreciated.

P.S. I thought of trying Alt+F2 (that's the command right?) and then entering gnome-panel, but the run dialog would not come up when I tried.

edit: Navigating to /usr/bin and then double clicking "gnome-panel" does nothing.

Last edited by celtic426 (2009-07-24 18:57:37)

gods are fragile things.  They may be dismissed with a dose of common sense or a whiff of science.

#2 2009-07-23 05:59:52

sHyLoCk

Re: [SOLVED] Panels don't startup with Gnome

Did you install gnome-extras?

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2009-07-23 06:07:18

celtic426
Website

sHyLoCk wrote:

Did you install gnome-extras?

Yes, it worked before.  I did some tweaking of a few things then rebooted and now it doesn't work.

gods are fragile things.  They may be dismissed with a dose of common sense or a whiff of science.

#4 2009-07-23 06:14:39

sHyLoCk

Did you unselect any package while installing it or did a full install of gnome and gnome-extras? By default the panel should come.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#5 2009-07-23 06:19:23

celtic426
Website

sHyLoCk wrote:

Did you unselect any package while installing it or did a full install of gnome and gnome-extras? By default the panel should come.

Dude...lol, It was installed and working 100 percent for sure until I unselected it from the autostart list and now I need get it back.  I just need to know how to put "gnome-panel" back into the autostart list.

EDIT: SOLVED

Ah, I figured it out and it wasn't anything to do with what I thought.

Earlier I uninstalled Avahi with gtkpacman and I guess gnome-panel absolutely needs that.  So ok, problem solved.

Last edited by celtic426 (2009-07-23 06:45:30)

Board footer