You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-25 04:47:20

ztrange

[SOLVED] New install Xorg "not working" Intel 945

Hello everyone.

I finally decided to move my system to arch...
The main issue I had on Ubuntu was the Intel driver performance and that's also one of the reasons for me to be here... But not the only one, I really want to learn more about linux system internals and it seems like Arch is the way to go. So, my hd is formatted and has an almost-basic Arch install on it and I'm writing through some Ubuntu live usb.

Anyway, I installed (twice) the Arch system trying to follow the Beginners guide guidelines. I got to the part where it says how to get X working. Everything that far was fine but just as I suspected, problems started right there. (I just passed the audio config successfully)

I installed libgl, xorg, xf86-input-evdev, mesa, xf86-video-intel, xf86-input-synaptics via pacman
I tried the Xorg -configure and the copied the resulting xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
I added hal to DAEMONS in rc.conf and rebooted. ps -aux says hal is running
I used X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf but only got some screen on-off thing and then blank.
I switched to another console, logged in and killed the xorg proccess.
I rebooted, went to read more in the wiki and then tried:
startx
Voila, I got the basic X windows and clock without erros. As I just read, I went to /var/log/Xorg.0.log and surprise there was no "built-in configuration" section on it. Son It just worked but didn't generate a basic config.
Well, then I installed hwdetect the pacman -S hwdetect and hwd -xa (command not found) h (tab) gave me the list and typed hwdetect -xa. Then tried the X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf but got the same always blank and as the last time, I was unable to exit with ctrl+alt+backspace.

Well that's all I've done this far and I still got some things I can try... But the it hit me (while browsing the forum) that maybe If I installed the last kernel 2.6.30, everything should work fine. Well, I don't know what kernel do I have now (last time I booted Arch forgot to use uname -r) but I downloaded the install iso this week and did a full upgrade after completing the install.

Now, my question is, I dont have X, I have a bes system that is able to get online and use pacman, I have configured the sound and my username. And now I'd like to change to the latest kernel. But now, as this is something more "dangerous" I don't know what to do and I need some advice. I think maybe just enabling testing and upgrading may do the trick but didn't want to take that risk.

Well, the goal of my installation is kde 4.3 and gnome to choose and the latest kernel. I hope someone can give me some advice to be able to get there.

Last edited by ztrange (2009-07-25 22:05:43)

Using Arch Linux + KDE 4.3 rc3 Fully updated, Toshiba U305 S5107 Intel Core 2 duo 2048 RAM.
Sorry for my bad english...

#2 2009-07-25 05:03:49

ztrange

Re: [SOLVED] New install Xorg "not working" Intel 945

Well, I'm now browsing with lynx... This is soooo odd! Anyway, I just found out that I already have the 2.6.30 kernel and unless I'm wrong, everything should be working fine. Well, Now I'm wondering if i really need a xorg.conf file. I would love to continue the installation but I'm not sure if my current conf file is good because the "shaded X that responds to mouse movement" never showed.

Using Arch Linux + KDE 4.3 rc3 Fully updated, Toshiba U305 S5107 Intel Core 2 duo 2048 RAM.

#3 2009-07-25 05:55:18

RonB

It sounds like you've done everything right, I'm not sure where it broke down. But it's odd that you had it working once, but not later. I guess the only way to get it working is to go back through the steps, one by one and make sure everything is right. I've kind of got mixed emotions about the no xorg.conf file. It's easier when it works, but it seems like a lot of older computers well get jettisoned here pretty soon -- they seem to be dropping support for "legacy" hardware more and more.

I just got Arch Linux working on an old Dell GX1 (500 mhz, Pentium III) with 384 meg of memory. It's got a nvidia TNT2 card (one of the legacy cards I mentioned). I installed both Gnome and Xfce -- it's working pretty well, but I was hoping it would be a bit lighter. (I guess that's asking quite a lot to be both "cutting edge" and light.)

I had tried Arch a while back, just when Xorg changed to their new system, and couldn't get past the testing xorg stage. Kept locking up me. Turns out I hadn't loaded the keyboard and mouse drivers *or* started hal. Once I did that (this install) the problem was gone.

Oh, one more thing. If you read one of the Wikis (I thought it was in the Beginner's Guide) you'll see that Xorg has gotten rid of the Cntrl+Alt+BKSPC keys for exiting. There is a work-around, somewhere in the Wiki pages if you still want that feature.

Good luck. I'm a newbie, so I'm afraid I'm not much help.

Last edited by RonB (2009-07-25 05:57:47)

#4 2009-07-25 06:05:25

djszapi
Website

Hello ztrange!

With which driver do you try it ? You can try it without xorg, is it problem for you ? By default ctrl+alt+backspace isn't allowed you must set it:

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "DontZap"               "false"
EndSection

Why would you like to try a testing kernel version for a problem? Do you think that will be the solution haha ? smile Instead of it, maybe you need to try with an older one.

#5 2009-07-25 14:59:09

arunix

ztrange wrote:

I was unable to exit with ctrl+alt+backspace.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg
did you try it for this ?

Last edited by arunix (2009-07-25 15:02:53)

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.

#6 2009-07-25 20:00:41

djszapi
Website

He should do that step by step if not smile

#7 2009-07-25 20:41:24

ztrange

Ok, Im using a relatively new hardware... I think. It's an intel 945 GM or something like that.
As for the ctrl+alt+backspace Well, I nao remember that for ubuntu jaunty was disabled by default... I think now I understand why is that. But then it shouldn't be mentioned in the wiki's beginner guide. sad
Well, I want to make something a little clearer lol...
I have hal installed and running. Configured in rc.conf and ps -aux shows it. Is that enough prove?
I can run xorg anytime I want with startx and get some terminals and a clock but it doesn't generate the "built-in configuration" section.
I've tested Xorg -configure and hwdetect -xa and got some xorg.conf but they don't seem to work with the famous "shaded X that responds to mouse movement" test so, I guess there is something wrong.
And finally, I wanted to have 2.6.30 kernel because it solves the intel driver problems but now I know i have that one and that everything should work...
Well, Im going to keep reading and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for your help.

#8 2009-07-25 21:47:30

rusty99

If you're getting 3 xterms + xclock when you type startx then everything sounds like it's working correctly.
It's not truely necessary to have an xorg.conf anymore unless you specificly need it, ie certain options you want to add or hal is setting something incorrectly and you need to fix it.
As long as hal is in your daemons and you don't get any errors if you manually restart it, assume it's all good.

#9 2009-07-25 21:53:57

ztrange

Yes, thats what I thought... I finished reading the Beginners guide and the X wiki arcticle.
Now, I nned to install kde 4.3 but don't want to do it with chakra packages but with the original arch packages. If I had to guess, I'd say it is in testing but I haven't searched very deep.
As for the X problem I had, I know now that the "shaded X" test sometimes don't work but it's enough to see the xterm and clock... Also, I edited de xinitrc with exec xterm and everything is alright.

Thanks for everybody's help and time... I'll be back lol

#10 2009-07-25 22:15:37

ahndoruuu

I also used Ubuntu (and still do) and I had issues with my Intel graphics as well (though mine is the G33 Express Chipset) and fixed them through instructions on this thread, if you're interested:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

#11 2009-07-25 22:23:28

ztrange

Yes, ahndoruuu I've heard and read a little about that option but I have been using Ubuntu for about 2 years (3 releases and a half) and altough I have to say is great for the purpose is designed, Im very attracted to arch KISS philosophy. So, now I only have Ubuntu in a live usb (which I'm using now and hopefully will replace with some arch live usb in the future) and in my computer HD there is only an Arch install (still incomplete but I hope to move on about it today) and maybe I'll stick on this distro for a long time.

Thanks anyway.

Board footer