You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-26 20:44:14

poopship21

ide for php [SOLVED]

having done about 500 lines total of php web development in my life (all via text editor), i am considering ide-based php dev for the first time after having a look at the zend ide.  upon cursory inspection, this environment has a straightforward layout, but also has many features which i may or may not need.  i am interested in hearing about what features other users find essential in their php dev environments and whether or not a particular ide addresses these needs better than others for him/her.  TIA

Last edited by poopship21 (2009-08-02 17:17:59)

#2 2009-07-26 20:55:01

Barrucadu
Website

Re: ide for php [SOLVED]

Someone, of course, has to step in and say that you don't need anything more than syntax highlighting, line numbers, and auto-indenting. That someone is me in this case tongue

I've never really liked IDEs. It's a strange idea, to me, to install a special program to edit a text file when you already have a perfectly good one.

#3 2009-07-26 21:07:55

poopship21

Barrucadu wrote:

you don't need anything more than syntax highlighting, line numbers, and auto-indenting

thats what my gut is telling me right now.  which is why i need other ppl to suggest 'needs' that are best addressed via an ide before i start installing a bunch of binaries that will otherwise only add overhead to my system and complicate my life.

#4 2009-07-26 21:16:03

HashBox

One thing a PHP IDE _might_ give you, is some form of visual debugging, but I forget exactly how far that gets in PHP. I think the Zend IDE might do that at least, and the Roadsend PHP IDE can probably do that too.

#5 2009-07-26 21:21:09

Wintervenom

Lightweight:  Geany.
Middleweight:  Bluefish
Heavyweight:  PHP Eclipse

More IDEs:  http://www.php-editors.com/review/

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-07-26 21:21:46)

#6 2009-07-26 21:44:48

ralvez
Website

To me GUI Editors and Text Editors are both good and they both have their place.
I make mi life as a software developer and I can tell that vi is a fantastic tool IF I have to use a terminal to get into a server and do some corrections/modifications,etc.
If I'm on a desktop I find GUI editors to be a great help. I use NetBeans that provides support for PHP, HTML, CSS, XML, Python, MySQL and a host of other laguages (but the ones I mentioned are the one I use smile ) and also has code completion, tool tips, built in debugging tools, etc.

As I spend more and more time coding I'm beginning to realize that there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to development tools. That's why they are called development "tools" ... wink because you can choose the right tool for the right job.

I find that even the GUI Editors cannot fulfill all your needs and sometimes you may have one GUI Editor for a particular use (for example nothing bits Quanta Plus for HTML ... in my oppinion) , because it bits hands down everything else you have in your GUI toolbox.

Hope this helps.

R.

#7 2009-07-27 05:35:10

lman

I agree with Wintervenom. I used te prefer these geany for smaller projects, php eclipse for bigger ones( 5000+ lines), but now I just use vim tongue
Anyways geany is the best choice in my opinion for 'classical' editing.

#8 2009-07-27 07:27:58

pauldonnelly

Barrucadu wrote:

Someone, of course, has to step in and say that you don't need anything more than syntax highlighting, line numbers, and auto-indenting. That someone is me in this case tongue

Whatcha need all that junk for? Auto-indentation is pretty helpful in some languages, but for PHP?

#9 2009-07-27 07:30:25

Barrucadu
Website

I was speaking generally for all languages.

#10 2009-07-27 07:52:12

then00b183

Try Emacs! I'm currently using it with php-mode. It takes some time to become productive if you are new to Emacs, but you can have all IDE functionallity in there - for example, xdebug for debugging and ctags for autocompletion.

I have been php developer several year now and tried most of IDEs. Eclipse with PDT tools would be my second choise (not ZendStudio 6.x because it's really buggy, not PHPEclipse because it's under development now).

#11 2009-07-27 13:15:17

XFire

I also recommend Geany as an IDE. It's really good for other languages too.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

#12 2009-07-29 05:33:57

poopship21

reading over these replies, i have come to realize that the best environment period is the one with the simplest editor and the one that comes closest to actually deploying the app: for me that would be typing code in vim and using firefox to debug it on apache.  the major caveat is that this setup is only workable under the following circumstances: big monitor, tiling wm, a secure host machine (yes i have used xampp before and its great but if im dragging all that along then chances are that the machine i am working on has a desktop which assumes that ppl only tile accidentaly).  the process of deployment is abstracted in IDE's not because it is easier to edit some code in a button-encrusted space and debug in a simulated host console and browser etc, but because this is the setup that allows experimental deployment to be portable and consistent.  thanks for all the great comments, geany looks nice.

Last edited by poopship21 (2009-07-29 05:45:31)

#13 2009-07-29 07:42:29

XFire

poopship21 wrote:

reading over these replies, i have come to realize that the best environment period is the one with the simplest editor and the one that comes closest to actually deploying the app: for me that would be typing code in vim and using firefox to debug it on apache.  the major caveat is that this setup is only workable under the following circumstances: big monitor, tiling wm, a secure host machine (yes i have used xampp before and its great but if im dragging all that along then chances are that the machine i am working on has a desktop which assumes that ppl only tile accidentaly).  the process of deployment is abstracted in IDE's not because it is easier to edit some code in a button-encrusted space and debug in a simulated host console and browser etc, but because this is the setup that allows experimental deployment to be portable and consistent.  thanks for all the great comments, geany looks nice.

With geany, you can get rid of all of the toolbars and just have the menu and the tab menu at the top (even that you can get rid of) also it demos the site in your web-browser.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

Board footer