You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-27 07:21:30

atc
Website

E-SATA support on Linux

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've had a glance at the ever-so-fastly evolving hardware market. Recently though I've come to need an external hard drive. Researching options for that I've learned that there's a communication interface called E-SATA which is supposed to be faster than both Firewire and USB2.0.

Now, I use Arch on all of my three main computers, that is a laptop, a desktop computer and a server. My desktop computer actually supports the E-SATA interface so I'd obviously like to take advantage of that.

Question: Does Linux support the e-sata interface well enough for it to be reliable? How is its performance on Linux? Does it work like when I plug in my USB sticks and do a mount?

Right now, my impression of it is that it's currently a bit like ntfs-3g when it was unstable. Am I wrong?

I'd especially like to hear from people having actual experience with E-SATA on Linux, even better Arch Linux.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2009-07-27 18:43:24

mthode
Website

Re: E-SATA support on Linux

I think esata == sata to linux, nothing special.  I will test when I get home.

GIT d- s-:- a--- C++++ UL++++ P--- L+++ E--- W+++ N++ o K++ w-- O M V-- PS++ PE-- Y++ PGP++ t+ 5+ X R !tv b+ DI++ D++ G
http://www.geekcode.com/geek.html

#3 2009-07-27 19:00:03

Diaz

Re: E-SATA support on Linux

It works fine, i have esata on my desktop, and esata on my laptop, i always use them to connect an external hdd.

Linux will detect them just like a normal hdd like if it was internal.

Board footer