You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-27 18:20:59

Xi0N
Website

HELP!! Mainboard changed - Arch wont boot :(

I had some issues with the old motherboard, so, i changed it, and now (as was expected) i cannot boot into arch.....
Fallback aso does not work.... is there any way to fix the current instalation and ake it work with the new motherboard?

I have 2 disk... 1 SATA one with /boot /home and other ide one that i use only for storing my music ibrary,,,,,

I need help!!

sad

EDIT:

I get to see the GRUB menu... the partitions are

/ : ext4
/boot : ext2
/home : ext4

I unplugged the IDE drive for trying to make the system less confused,.. now i only have the SATA drive...

I get this error:

Root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/c0rimc20mcr03irmc03imcr3irm032crmi23mirc03' doesn't exist, attempting to create it
ERROR: Failed to parse block device ids for '/dev/disk/by-uuid/c0rimc20mcr03irmc03imcr3irm032crmi23mirc03'
ERROR: Unable to detect or create root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/c0rimc20mcr03irmc03imcr3irm032crmi23mirc03'
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
Tyoe reboot to reboot
Type exit ti try and continue booting
NOTE: klibc contains no ls binary, use echo * instead
If the device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/c0rimc20mcr03irmc03imcr3irm032crmi23mirc03' gets created while you are here,
try adding 'rootdelay=10'  or higher to the kernel command line
ramfs$_

What can i do? sad:(

Last edited by Xi0N (2009-07-27 18:30:18)

#2 2009-07-27 19:22:54

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: HELP!! Mainboard changed - Arch wont boot :(

Other motherboard = other hardware = other drivers = other ramdisk.

Boot from the installation CD, chroot into your installation and fix it. You should have taken care of this before you booted your system with the new mainboard wink.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-07-27 19:25:18

Xi0N
Website

Reinstalled... faster imho and would give me less problems... sure....

By the way... what happened to hwd??? i was used to install it and run hwd -xa ... but it looks like is not available anymore......

#4 2009-07-27 19:29:06

Runiq

B wrote:

Boot from the installation CD, chroot into your installation and fix it. You should have taken care of this before you booted your system with the new mainboard wink.

How is this possible without actually replacing the old mainboard? Does he just need to use the standard hooks?

#5 2009-07-27 20:44:15

rayjgu3

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reinstalling_GRUB
<< youll want those directions to follow when chrooting into system

more than likely youll need to adjust "ramdisk" =initrd or in arch terms /boot/kernel26.img 
tweak your  /etc/mkinitcpio.conf   boot install cd & see what modules got loaded "lsmod" will tell you write down all sata modules & put them in module section of /etc/mkinitcpio.conf  see this page for help
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Con … mkinitcpio

does bios setup look to boot ide drive 1st or sata & which hook is 1st in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf  sata is before ide hopefully(but shouldnt be a concern since your using uuid)
did you try adding 'rootdelay=10'  or higher to the kernel command line as suggested to you when dropped into ramfs$

#6 2009-07-27 20:54:38

Xi0N
Website

Weird: Now, after installing everything, and making all work just great, i shutted th emachine down, plugged the IDE drive and booted up.... the system gets blocked and i cannot do anything... why can this be?

That disk has an ext4 partition on it.... and is 80 Gb big....

#7 2009-07-27 21:30:59

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Runiq wrote:
B wrote:

How is this possible without actually replacing the old mainboard? Does he just need to use the standard hooks?

It involves tinkering - knowing what drivers you'll need and specifying them in mkinitcpio.conf. All he needs to know is his IDE/ATA driver(s), that's pretty much it.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#8 2009-07-27 22:33:43

rayjgu3

Xi0N wrote:

Weird: Now, after installing everything, and making all work just great, i shutted th emachine down, plugged the IDE drive and booted up.... the system gets blocked and i cannot do anything... why can this be?

That disk has an ext4 partition on it.... and is 80 Gb big....

what is getting recognized 1st in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

whats this section look like
MODULES="sata_via  ext3"  <this is mine
or this section

HOOKS="base udev sata" <mine

if you have any ide stuff in there take it out this could be your problem

#9 2009-07-27 23:04:26

Xi0N
Website

Wrong master/slave setup... now it is fixed.........

Thanks anyway... now i am thinking about how to do in fstab to make that partition permanently mounted under /media/music......

#10 2009-07-28 11:36:12

brain0
Developer

Last time I did this, I booted with the fallback initrd ONCE, then ran "mkinitcpio -p kernel26" and everything worked from there. That should work, provided you have a mkinitcpio configuration that is not too optimized.

Board footer