You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-28 12:00:07

rafmav
Website

[wpa_supplicant] wpa_passphrase is bugged! (solved)

I just installed archlinux, on an eeepc 701 4G laptop, and I had this problem when configuring the wireless internet connection:

wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0" I get this:
CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Trying to associate with <ap mac> (SSID='WLAN' freq=2412 MHz)
Associated with <ap mac>
WPA: 4-Way Handshake failed - pre-shared key may be incorrect
CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Authentication with <ap mac> timed out.
CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Authentication with <ap mac> timed out.
CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Associated with <ap mac>
WPA: 4-Way Handshake failed - pre-shared key may be incorrect
CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys

And this never worked!

I searched the internet with this string keyword: "WPA: 4-Way Handshake failed - pre-shared key may be incorrect
": I found on some pages that this command is BUGGED:

wpa_passphrase essid passphrase

I quickly searched the internet for another WPA passphrase generator: I found these:
- a passphrase generator on the internet: THIS RUNS WELL and immediately but, where is the secret if I sent my essid and passphrase on the net to get the key ? here it is: http://www.wireshark.org/tools/wpa-psk.html
- a local script python passphrase generator, not tried : http://www.juanjoconti.com.ar/files/pyt … sk.py.html

Questions:
- Are there other tools to generate a passphrase ? In a package ?
- Where might I send this bug for someone to correct it ?
- Why do any distribution, neither arch, mention this ? I have spent time to find out what others would have found before me...

Thanks.

Last edited by rafmav (2009-12-14 14:51:10)

#2 2009-08-01 06:30:32

ndowens04

Re: [wpa_supplicant] wpa_passphrase is bugged! (solved)

If you dont mind GUI version to control wifi, i use wicd and it works great. I personally havent tried using a passphrase with wifi, but if i did then it'd would be using iwconfig then dhcpcd

ArchLinux + ZFS

#3 2009-08-01 08:46:45

rafmav
Website

smile First, thanks for your reply!

On eeepc 701 4G, the SDD (flash memory replacing a hard disk) is 4 Go size mad ; with a (not) full completed (I have a big laptop with ubuntu and at less 6 Go of system binaries to do a lot of stuff that I use at 5%) linux system installed on it, It left me only 200 or 300 Mo of space left for my /home : not enough! -( : and if I put my /home in an USB key or a SDHC card in a USB slot, it is really too slow (I/O at 3 or 6 Mo/s max)! I do not want to spent money for a new computer at this time, seeing what use I have with this eeepc (only for out going, e-mails, video)...

So I installed less graphical managers as I can, and avoid the GNOME ones, which are eating disk-space for what they do (but they do it well): wicd is a part of it.

Aarchlinux is not built only for the graphic mode users: graphic managers are not installed by default (great); and text mode users are happy for this, I think! (but how do they to read e-mails lol ?)

Endly, if a tool is bugged, the best thing is to repair it, when it is possible ; and I am not the one able to do this... The less I could do is telle the others that it is bugged...

#4 2009-08-01 09:06:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Endly, if a tool is bugged, the best thing is to repair it, when it is possible ; and I am not the one able to do this... The less I could do is telle the others that it is bugged...

I havn't seen anything yet to suggest that it is bugged. I've heard no reports of such issues with it.

netcfg uses wpa_passphrase internally I have not received any complaints in the years of development.

#5 2009-08-03 05:32:48

ndowens04

Have you tried just using iwconfig then dhcpcd?

ArchLinux + ZFS

#6 2009-08-03 13:54:18

Trent

ndowens04 wrote:

Have you tried just using iwconfig then dhcpcd?

iwconfig doesn't include the capability to manage encryption on WPA/WPA2 passphrase protected wireless networks.  That's what wpa_supplicant is for.

FWIW, I use netcfg to connect to a passphrase-protected network every day and it works fine.  I've also successfully used wpa_supplicant to connect to the same network (I mentioned it here).  I don't know what the OP's problem may be, but it's entirely possible there is a very subtle bug... however with the many people using it (directly or otherwise) flawlessly it seems more likely the OP has a different issue.

#7 2009-12-14 14:50:35

rafmav
Website

Sorry, but I had forgotten this topic since a while. I use now netcfg, and it runs well. I close this topic.

#8 2012-06-07 06:27:16

ajitatif

though quite old this topic is, i've just solved the problem by editing the wpa_supplicant.conf. i uncommented open password line and commented out the encrypted password line, then ran dhcpd wlan0.

network={
	ssid="kron_2_2"
	psk="open-pass"
#	psk=encrypted-pass
}

don't forget the quotes in the open password

#9 2012-06-07 07:49:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer