You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-30 03:48:14

heimdal

Lost Openbox Menu to LXDE install

I would like to know how to restore my openbox menu, or atleast edit the one LXDE uses. I installed LXDE in hopes to have a better linux experience. After all sitting there with just Openbox, Nitrogen, tint2, and Conky was all well and good but I like having a desktop with icons.

My problem though without all the fluf is that my openbox menu became LXDE with only a few menus, which is far from my long list with just Openbox. Is there a way to restore it, or import everything over. (Like the menu.xml and the rc.xml) I know it exists since the obmenu command shows my old menu, though I can't get it to show up.

#2 2009-07-30 04:02:26

SamC
Website

Re: Lost Openbox Menu to LXDE install

The openbox menu file is stored in ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml, all you need to do is find out where LXDE stores it's menu and overwrite it.

#3 2009-07-30 04:05:54

heimdal

Indeed, SamC I am looking for it myself.

#4 2009-07-30 04:36:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You could always go back to Openbox, tint2 and conky (it's all I use) and implement icons another way:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ope … ktop_Icons

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2009-07-30 06:25:13

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Did you manually configure your old menu via ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml or did you use the default?

If you configured it and now you have something different, then I'm guessing it was overwritten, in which case it would be interesting to know if that happens automatically or not when installing/running Lxde.

If you were using the default, try renaming ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml to ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml.bak then reconfigure openbox and check if it reset your menu.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2009-10-21 13:57:06

traaf

hi
i up this old topic cause i found no answer nowhere for the same question and i finally found where  lxde store OB menu xml file

my ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml was not used, i had a poor menu with basic lxde entries
i just moved /usr/share/lxde/openbox/menu.xml to /usr/share/lxde/openbox/menu.xml.bak to have my custom ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml used ...

hope this wll be usefull

#7 2009-10-22 18:50:24

*david_a*

When installing LXDE, Openbox is NOT installed at all, leaving you with no window manager unless you install one yourself.

When Pacman installs Openbox, the example configuration files are placed in /etc/xdg/openbox and you are given a note that you will need to copy them into ~/.config/openbox if you want to use them - so I think there is no over-writing happening.

Board footer