You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-30 18:50:27

perbh

slow x-start and reboot

I have a couple of grievances about slowness - they are not showstoppers, only nuisances ... so here goes
1) on starting X (startx - using xfce), it hangs for a veeery long time with the text 'Starting nautilus', eventually it is OK. I have a feeling I have seen this referred to before but can't find it (must've used wrong keywords to search). It is only on _one_ of my many arch-machines and I believe I had left "Save setup" on for a while before disabling it ... there are no big (sizewise) directories in my 'home' ...
2) doing the 'reboot'-command takes forever if I have anything nfs-mounted. unmounting manually is a snap. infact, it got so bad that I made a li'l script to umount nfs-directories before calling reboot. If anyone needs something similar, here it is (though I would rather not use it ...):

#!/bin/bash
cat /etc/mtab | awk '{ if ($3 == "nfs") print $2 }' | while read d; do
    echo "-- umounting $d ..."
    sudo umount "$d"
done
sudo reboot

[edit]
sorry - forgot to quote $d in the umount command ... duh!!
[/edit]

Last edited by perbh (2009-07-30 18:55:25)

#2 2009-07-30 18:53:26

djszapi
Website

Re: slow x-start and reboot

Could you attach more related informations, like output of logs ?

#3 2009-07-30 18:57:01

perbh

more specifically - which logs?

#4 2009-07-30 21:22:55

djszapi
Website

X, syslog, errorlog, etc.

#5 2009-07-31 01:03:18

majiq

I remember something on some wiki page about differences in /etc/hosts and /etc/rc.conf can lead to slowness in the operating system, but I never tested what the actual effects would be. Perhaps this should be your first stop?

#6 2009-07-31 13:39:30

perbh

@majiq
Nah - it's not _that_ kind of trouble. Everything boots just fine and X starts fast enough. It only stops when its starting up nautilus. Once it gets past that - it's ok again.

The automatic umounting of nfs-drives on 'reboot' is more of a mystery - but I have a perfect /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf ... all the same, it would seem to me that what happens is that it first takes down the network and then umounts - which means it will get a network timeout. That's the only explanation I can think of.

@djszapi
I'm too busy with the computer at the moment, next time I boot I'll check those logs ... (sorry I cant be more accommodating)
However - I seem to recall a similar problem where the OP had kept 'save setup' enabled and thus it created a larger and larger save-file which it took a loooong time to get through - but I have no big files in my home directory ... I don't know what it is nautilus is trying to do - and this only happens on _one_ of my many arch-machines - and the only one where I forgot to disable 'save setup on exit'.

Board footer